Slider control for temperature overlay

I'd like to see a little slider on the temperature overlay, so that I can choose the high and low limits. This would allow me to identify temperature differences that aren't near 20°C. This is by no means asking for more colors; I personally would not want more colors. The red-blue spectrum is good.

For example my LOX, it would be good to know which areas are at -183°C and which are -200°C. Currently they all show up as "cold" as they are both below -0.1°C.

20180820205840_1.thumb.jpg.a758b6d8d9c5a3f44669af5a78be0b5b.jpg

Same goes for the steam generator steam heat exchanger, I would like to know what areas are at 220°C and which are at 120°C; they both show up as scorching since they are above 99°C.

20180820205913_1.thumb.jpg.616127187a475b01eec7d2dc2ad26f16.jpg

Nothing earth shattering here, just a small improvement. Klei uses sliders for a lot of things in the game, I figure this is another place one could be used. Cheers.

3 hours ago, Tobruk said:

How would such a slider work? Would it be able to shift the boundaries? For example setting 170 deg. as upper boundary for hot, thus making most of the red in your second picture orange?

I'm assuming he wants something like the color scale in the conditional formating of Google sheets or excel. 

There you pick a range and it distributes the scale for you. 

Let's say I want the range to be 20-80 C. 

Then the 20 would be blue and 80 red. 50C would be plain green as it is the middle. The rest is a mix between blue/green or green/red. 

@Enno gave a great explanation. Visually, I was thinking of something like this:

20180822210505_1.jpg.134dbcb8665b85a67f2c49eb8c90f8a4.jpg

But you could do lots with this. You could replace the descriptions with the numbers and update them dynamically - since using a max value of 80°C is no longer "Molten". Building on Enno's example of 20-80°C and keeping the original scaling:

2.png.e00dabef786791b4740297f3ad1b80c8.png

Now it's starts to get a little unusual and we see how the original scale really focuses the transition between 0-100°C (Cold and Scorching). Maybe instead of scaling all the values, we just move the midpoint of that transition up and down and keep the original spread. Using Steam Turbine's Cold Steam Temperature as an example:

3.png.df9008133c765fd1dce30e6d08dd9e47.png

And of course, all these could have a "Default" button to get back to what we are all used to. It would be strange to pan through the oil biome with everything blue :D

13 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

@Enno gave a great explanation. Visually, I was thinking of something like this:

But you could do lots with this. You could replace the descriptions with the numbers and update them dynamically - since using a max value of 80°C is no longer "Molten". Building on Enno's example of 20-80°C and keeping the original scaling:

Now it's starts to get a little unusual and we see how the original scale really focuses the transition between 0-100°C (Cold and Scorching). Maybe instead of scaling all the values, we just move the midpoint of that transition up and down and keep the original spread. Using Steam Turbine's Cold Steam Temperature as an example:

And of course, all these could have a "Default" button to get back to what we are all used to. It would be strange to pan through the oil biome with everything blue :D

Thanks (I already answered this morning but apparently didn't post it so here is the answer again) 

I would still have it like you said at first, even if you have the range of 1C (like 1500 and 1501C) it would still work. It would break the 1C up the same way as other values it would just increase in accuracy with the decrease of range. You can find a dynamic scale in thermal cameras, red doesn't always mean hot, just overall warmer than the average in the image. 

The oil biome being red is something we are used to, for us humans this is so hot and we associate hot with red. For a molten slickster 200C is perfect, it wouldn't be shown red for him. So if it is blue we should rather keep in mind that compared to what is red this is the cold area. 

Archived