Practical uses for super cold fluids.

The cold chlorine won't help you with anything. It don't exchanges heat very well so you should not use it for cooling a radiator.  And it's so far from your base I doubt it'll be economically valuable to build pumps and pipes all the way to your base to use it in a slime storage room. My tip, just leave it...

You'd need a renewable source of those and you don't have that. Leaky oil is produced above 200C and a small puddle of chlorine will run out before you manage to transport it.

And even then, cold is only usable to counter heat. About a year ago it was also useful for liquid oxygen, but that was only because back then, filtering medium was non-renewable.

If you're adverse to pressure exploits, cold is useful to store gasses. It's ~50x as much per tile as in the gas form (1000kg versus 20kg).

Unfortunately, the way fluids are handled in pipes makes it impractical to use phase changes as part of a cooling system. (Yes, you can have it directly in tiles, not in pipes, but then you get chlorine all over the place...)

Also unfortunately, most of the "liquid gas" geysers (CO2, Cl) have negligible cooling power.

thank you all for your responses! (even the one i can't see ;p )

I was very surprised to see -77, I see that's it's scarely a kg. Could it be bottled tho'? moved to an emptier and maybe to create a vapor lock, or into a pre-built chamber for cooling? Shortly after seeing that I saw gobs of CH falling into a cold biome that I skirted. And there was puddles of CH forming, not as cold. But much greater quantities.

3 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

thank you all for your responses! (even the one i can't see ;p )

I was very surprised to see -77, I see that's it's scarely a kg. Could it be bottled tho'? moved to an emptier and maybe to create a vapor lock, or into a pre-built chamber for cooling? Shortly after seeing that I saw gobs of CH falling into a cold biome that I skirted. And there was puddles of CH forming, not as cold. But much greater quantities.

I'm not sure you could bottle it, even in an environmental suit.  The heat of your dupe (or the suit) will be more than sufficient to vaporize the chlorine back into gas while they attempt to mop it into bottles.  You could try... and because of temperature clamping, if you built a pump, the pump would DEFINITELY introduce enough heat energy to vaporize the chlorine into gas.

Archived