Dear devs and fellow dupes,

Lately I thought about the table manners of my little dupers-poopers. They have mess tables (even assigned to them - stupid imo) a great hall with pictures and statues - like they attend a fancy banquet. Is this how you pronounce it? Ban-kwet? :D Anyway.

They eat like space-wolves. No dishes, no spoon, nothing just gobbling the food with their bare hands!

(That's why I propose cutlery made from metal- not anymore, see more at the final thoughts I.e plate racks )for extra morale. Imo it's not necessary to give them spoon, fork and a knife. A Spork would suffice (combination of spoon and fork) - Google it. I dare you. I didn't made it up :D

Further. Plates made from clay(or something else) in the beginning, later ceramics. For extra morale. (Not anymore up to date as well, see at the final thoughts.  I.e plate rack)

And a dishwasher to clean it for balance basically a new tidy job. 

Edit. Final thoughts

Spoiler

The idea is to have different means how to get moral boosts. 

I put some more thought to it.

My final conclusions are. 

1. Plate rack (New building for mess hall/great hall)

Containing 6 sets of plates and sporks. Made from raw mineral or raw metal and clay+1 to morale

Later a better version with refined metal and ceramics +2 morale

Plate rack would have to be refilled with clean plates and cutlery after it's empty.

2. Dishwasher (New building for kitchen) requiring water, raw metal and dupe Labour to wash

Further I would like to see kitchen  becoming a room. Right now kitchen has been neglected. There are rooms for almost everything but, not for cooking. Why?

3. Automatic dish washer (tier 2 dishwasher) requiring water pipe, p-water pipe away, refined metal, power~200-300w, but no dupe Labour  +1 morale 

Only need to be filled and emptied by dupes (able to wash 12 pieces of plates and cutlery)

So for a colony of 12 dupes you'd need 2 plate racks and 1 dishwasher.

Total of +3 morale is not too much and quite balanced when compared to the work it requires imo.

Tldr:

plate racks supplying 6 sets of plates and cutlery. +1 morale.

Tier 2 plate rack +2morale

Dishwasher tier 1 needs dupe labour

Dishwasher tier 2 needs power , no dupe labour+1 morale 

Max of +3 morale

Make kitchen a room!!

Cheers

I think if you need to make cutlery and plates for every new dupe. And you need to clean them(constant work) to use again or they suffer food poisoning and a hit to morale would outweigh the benefit of the extra morale, making it not too easy to get.

2 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

I think if you need to make cutlery and plates for every new dupe. And you need to clean them(constant work) to use again or they suffer food poisoning and a hit to morale would outweigh the benefit of the extra morale, making it not too easy to get.

But that`s just overcomplicated. I prefer to keep it simple without extra tasks. Anyway it`s your idea so i`m not going to argue more.

The Kiln should be able to make Plates out of ceramic, and with Plastic you can make a Luxury Mess table. The luxury mess table occupies 1x3 in width so it takes up considerably more space. If a Plate is available(and assigned in the Consumables table), they will pick one up, pick up the desired meal, and eat on it. A plate gives +1, a luxury table gives +1 as well. The plate is consumed when used for simplicity sake.

The animation when eating on a luxury table should be different as well. instead of just instantly devouring the food item like they've never eaten before, they should leave the food on a plate while picking small bites from it, where you can atleast see what dish they're eating. 

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

But that`s just overcomplicated. I prefer to keep it simple without extra tasks. Anyway it`s your idea so i`m not going to argue more.

Thanks. I still appreciate the critique. Hey this part of the forum is called suggestions And feedback so no big deal pal:wilson_vforvictory:

3 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

The Kiln should be able to make Plates out of ceramic, and with Plastic you can make a Luxury Mess table.

Both great ideas! If I may beg to differ in one point. Luxury tables should be 2x1. I think otherwise the dupe would look tiny behind a huge table. What's the table size in the POI. I would like this tables to be the luxury type. They look beautiful. 

8 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

The plate is consumed when used for simplicity sake.

That's a bit of an odd idea. So you would have to keep making new plates, right? Wouldn't this be more work?

I don't think it would be so much simpler than having a plate rack that gets restocked with washed plates after they've been used just like irl. No one throws away the plates after one use. And at least the tier 2 dishwasher as I imagined would be automatic so dupes would only have to fill and empty it and restock the plate racks 

18 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

The animation when eating on a luxury table should be different as well. instead of just instantly devouring the food item like they've never eaten before, they should leave the food on a plate while picking small bites from it, where you can atleast see what dish they're eating. 

Totally with you on this one! 

9 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

I would like to see somthing like a counter. 1 Dupe behind it, serving the meals. Depending on the quality, the dupe will squash them on the tray, or prepare a fine meal at its best. 

Personally I like the idea. But I think it would take too long preparing every meal while they wait in line. Right now they run to the fridge all at once and get some food and eat. 

But I could imagine a way it could work. They prepare the fine meal and put it in the fridge.

Maybe someday we will see buildings requiring multiple different ressources to be built. So mess tables could require building material + dish and from time to time the table needs to be "repaired" using new dishes.
Or the table stays more or less like now but can be tuned with dishes so a dupe eating there get's a morale boost. Maybe tables have like outhouses a limit of uses before they need to be tidied. Restock the table with dish and it produces dirt :D

16 hours ago, Alfons100 said:

The luxury mess table occupies 1x3 in width so it takes up considerably more space

3 tiles would be overkill imo. A great hall that`s 4 tiles high would fit only 8 of these (actually 7 beacause of leisure item). Well, maybe if 2 dupes could use one table it would work.

Having a complete system for crafting kives and forks strikes me as overly complicated

The idea of a luxury food table giving morale and decor boost and using ceramics (for the plates) and refined metal (for the covers) and maybe even some textile (what refined table would be complete without a tablecloth, i ask you ?), I can get behind.

I think making 2*1 rather than 3*1 woud be enough

3 hours ago, Smuch said:

Having a complete system for crafting kives and forks strikes me as overly complicated

I agree. Maybe I didn't make it all too clear. I wasn't suggesting that every piece of cutlery and plate is made but that dupes build plate racks (building inside the kitchen room, that supplies 6sets of plates and sporks, for a total of 6 meals.) And that the rack gets refilled after the plates and sporks are cleaned so there's no need for a plate and Spork maker machine

Edit. I saw it was my mistake. I didn't change the third paragraph of my first suggestion after I edited it and added the final thoughts. I've changed it now. Sorry for the confusion. 

Archived