About Liquid and Gas pipe Bridges

So we all know about thermal exchange about now and that using abyss as build material will prevent any temperature leak.

So I'm curious how Bridges work. They do not store the content of pipe when it "leaps", meaning they can not interact with water or gas whatsoever.

It is just magically teleport?

So long story short, if i want perfect pipeline do i use abyss bridges or not?

OxygenNotIncluded_2018-08-03_20-54-52.thumb.png.843a7ff7a73f0a9ad18e90c2a798ecb9.png

I've ran some tests, it seems they only heat up from gases they are in, not what comes though them. Like you said @Sasza22 when they transfer mass its never inside of them.

• Liquid and Gas inside the pipe (300C) did not change temp inside the hydrogen -200C environment
  • -200C environment did not heat up at all with the bridges coming though it.

That said, with use in rooms 75C+ you would need Ceramic or Abyss bridge to prevent it from overheat, like @Carnis mentioned.

If room has over 275C mass (Magma), only use is to make it vacuum.

Indeed, the bridges do, in fact, 'magically' teleport the gas/liquid packet across them, effectively skipping the center tile.  And, the contents don't interact with either the bridge or the environment.  The packets basically just teleport from the pipe at the input of the bridge, to the pipe at the output of the bridge.

This is also true for valves.  The packets do not interact with the valves directly.  Nothing is ever stored in the valves.  Buildings  are similar, but different.  They do tend to have a storage, but the contents don't interact with the building directly, just with the environment around the building.  This also happens with buildings you might not expect, like the Aqua Tuner and the Thermal Regulator.  They also, very very briefly, store the packets they're processing inside of them before immediately outputting them.  This does mean you're wasting a tiny bit of cooling power, but there's nothing you can do about that.

Archived