Anybody care to explain?

Why would he do that?!  Damn, dude.  If you're impatient just wait a few days.  In my experience, normally the host showing up to a public full of randoms, is that ORDER happens.  But that's because a lot of ongoing (dedicated, don't shut down when the admin isn't playing) public servers I've played on have pretty much been the Wild West without a sherriff.  : P

ANYway.  Are you saying you showed up on Day 8 and it was winter, or that you were there earlier and it was _not_ winter on Day 7?  This makes a difference because even with changed or randomised seasons (which I like to do--but I always warn people in the description!) it still goes only in increments of five.  So it COULDN'T change right on day 8, under normal game programming!  It could be winter on day 6 (five-day fall), or day 11(a ten-day fall).  Not 8. 

So somebody might've triggered that winter trap.  HowEVer...that was flat-out taken out of the game back in late 2016.  No joke.  I remember the thread about it!  The only way you can have that setpiece in DS_T_ is with a mod.  And the only mod I know that has it tends to be kind of finicky and not play well with other mods, so I rarely use it, myself.

So...my conclusion is that either it was already winter on Day 6 and you showed up after that...or somebody's screwing with the console.  : P

EDIT:  Just looked at the picture again and noticed that you have a walking cane. So I'm guessing you showed up earlier and killed a walrus and lucked out _before_ day 8...? or YOU'RE messing with the console!  (points finger dramatically)  So, if you were already in the game on day 6 and it was winter and that's when you killed the walrus, it's not a mystery.  The host just set a really short fall or randomised the season lengths.  (shrug)

...Notorious

Most likely what happened is what Sinister_Fang said.

I know that the group "Diverse Survivors" has a temporarily world "Global Warming" that has set each season to very shot, which means 5 days. It's a lot of fun, I really like it because I can play each season in a few hours (so in a reasonable amount of time).

Heh.  Sounds like something I might do, except for "Global Warming" I'd probably make summer longer than the other seasons and winter short.  Of course, actual climate change isn't that simple (you also get colder colds, rainier rains, stormier storm seasons and just general unpredictability) so maybe just flat out randomising it the way I do would be weirdly closer to that...

Also alternate idea:  "Ice Age", with long winters, a bit of spring/fall, and that's it.  :D  (Note that ice age isn't ice ALL THE TIME...that'd be more like Snowball Earth.  I'm thinking this through too hard, aren't I.)

...Notorious

Ah.  Sometimes you can luck out like that.  I've had that happen once, though it's very rare.  (Hence why it only happened once.)

Hmm...so...you didn't change anything in the world settings before starting?  And those seasonal traps don't exist, not to mention somebody ELSE couldn't have triggered anything while you didn't notice because you're the only one there...

Yeah I'm confused.  Even with seasons put on random, they'd still change after multiples of 5 days.  So winter starting on Day 8 is weird no matter what.  Even if it DIDN'T start then, but instead on Day 6 (after a 5-day fall) that'd be weird 'cos you're the host, so you'd _remember_ setting up fall to be that short!

Weird.  I play with strange season lengths all the time, and this is STILL weird to me.  Huh.

...Notorious

Well, that would actually make it a bit LESS weird, 'cos then maybe it started on day 6, making fall a 5-day-increment number?  Although I find it funny how the season clock still shows fall as a normal fourth-of-the-circle wedge, when it should be tiny.  Unless ALL the seasons are super-short, of course.

...anyway.

...Notorious

Archived