Is there no way to farm azure feathers?

Klei, you smartass troll -.-

I have a run beyond day 150 of Shipwrecked/RoG where I aimed to survive to a point where I can almost solely rely on blow darts. Low and behold, I learnt the hard way why everyone said that getting the feathers is the problem and not the reeds. First I realized that lureplants won't sprout during winter in RoG world. But just when I thought I had a eureka right after it, I later got to this point:

1) You can't read bird books during hurricane season. This is only there to prevent you from farming azure bird feathers, I goddamn know it! Nowhere else is this implemented and there doesn't seem to be a problem with farming any of the resources for the other two core feather types.

image.thumb.png.322b21a271a592aae5bf18434bbc90e5.png

2) And of course planting lureplants on water has been patched out, sadly.

image.thumb.png.aa17a0adcb130a6b60305ed10111bf9c.png

So I can't farm the feathers from bluebirds, I can't farm the feathers from seagulls either. It's all set up to mock you. The process for relying on darts mostly and using them (crafting would take forever, ugh) seems to be fair in regards to using a ranged weapon. We have fire farms, other lureplant farms and wood farms with Big Foot that allow us to have 96% damage resistance, to a point where a hound biting you would deal 1 damage. Why are darts such a huge exploit you just have to keep them just out of reach, Klei?

They don't seem to have trouble allowing you to use spear guns at all, and those would take up just as much inventory space and time to manage the farming, may be even to a lesser extent. I remember in a play I started relying on spear guns 50% of the time, and it was great using a ranged weapon for once. They were balanced enough to diversify, but allow for non-ranged weapons to be used the other half of the time as well. So, why not allow the same for darts?

Just let me read that darn book in hurricane season!

If there is already a way to farm azure feathers in stacks in mere seconds that none is speaking about, I will buy an expensive skin on the market to the person who does it without mods. Do it, show it to me, and I'll buy you a skin as a gift, or even a skin set if it's not too expensive.

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

It's all set up to mock you.

Or they just didn't want to make getting all the ingredients for ranged weapons that have no complications or downsides too trivial. Spear guns may have comparable power but have big issues in the form of inventory space and reloading that blow darts don't.

5 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Or they just didn't want to make getting all the ingredients for ranged weapons that have no complications or downsides too trivial. Spear guns may have comparable power but have big issues in the form of inventory space and reloading that blow darts don't.

Oh they very much do, sir!

1) They only stack up to 20, meaning it's up to 2000 damage and then it's gone, meanwhile, say, even a dark sword, with 100 durability will deal up to 6800, which is over x3 the damage. And in single player, Dark sword is essentially a tentacle spike type niche considering Trident, Obsidian Spear and of course Cutlass Supreme.

2) They can very well miss but you lose a dart.

3) Wanna keep crafting them? Better keep some stacks of teeth, reeds,

4) You know how easy it is to craft a speargun and a spear? A speargun just needs you to catch a jellyfish and get 3 bamboo, and there, you have 8 shots. And you can keep making them very easily. Darts don't have that. They need farms for each of their ingredients set up to be reliable, and require a lot of time to craft each individual one.

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Oh they very much do, sir!

1) They only stack up to 20, meaning it's up to 2000 damage and then it's gone, meanwhile, say, even a dark sword, with 100 durability will deal up to 6800, which is over x3 the damage. And in single player, Dark sword is essentially a tentacle spike type niche considering Trident, Obsidian Spear and of course Cutlass Supreme.

2) They can very well miss but you lose a dart.

3) Wanna keep crafting them? Better keep some stacks of teeth, reeds,

4) You know how easy it is to craft a speargun and a spear? A speargun just needs you to catch a jellyfish and get 3 bamboo, and there, you have 8 shots. And you can keep making them very easily. Darts don't have that. They need farms for each of their ingredients set up to be reliable, and require a lot of time to craft each individual one.

Downsides and complications relative to other ranged weapons. Spearguns are easy to craft because they're more trouble to use. Obviously ranged weapons without such issues are going to be more time/resource expensive than melee ones. How much damage do you need to be able to do with no chance to restock anyway?

You're able to do large amounts of damage in relative safety. It's obvious this isn't meant to be a trivially obtainable damage option, and I think the tradeoffs are as fair as can be expected.

The way that I farm azure feathers is in Winter in my RoG world.  I bring over cactus and some volcano turf to plant them on.  I slap on cactus armor, set out a few seeds around the cactus, and plop a feather hat on my head and the blue birds come swarming.  I put a stocked crock pot/fridge nearby and I never have to leave unless hounds come.  

An important thing to note is you shouldn't stand within the cactus to make sure they land on the seeds.  Stay a bit away from the cactus, I usually just sit up shop right below them.

Don't mind the extra frosty Chester.  I bugged him somehow when I was jumping back and forth to Shipwrecked and can't figure out how he duplicated.  Now I have twice the company!

Willow Cactus.png

On 8/8/2018 at 9:55 PM, starrynytex said:

The way that I farm azure feathers is in Winter in my RoG world.  I bring over cactus and some volcano turf to plant them on.  I slap on cactus armor, set out a few seeds around the cactus, and plop a feather hat on my head and the blue birds come swarming.  I put a stocked crock pot/fridge nearby and I never have to leave unless hounds come.  

An important thing to note is you shouldn't stand within the cactus to make sure they land on the seeds.  Stay a bit away from the cactus, I usually just sit up shop right below them.

Don't mind the extra frosty Chester.  I bugged him somehow when I was jumping back and forth to Shipwrecked and can't figure out how he duplicated.  Now I have twice the company!

Willow Cactus.png

yeah i had the chester glich in shipwrecked and got over six chesters.

Archived