Boiling PWater With Volcano?

Heya! Well with the volcano it depends, if you want to make use of the dirt/sand it will create. The problem is sand will become a block which takes up space etc and can clog up the magma.

A solution to this is to make it that the magma and polluted water are in different chambers Do you have any idea what you want to do with the steam? Turbine or condense it?

Other alternative uses are to boil oil with it or run a steam turbine....or 2 or 5 using steam from already hot water

1 minute ago, AzeTheGreat said:

@Neotuck is that super cold oil you're pumping in?  You should be overheating without some method of removing heat.

That was just an example for debug.  Using this setup the natural gas will reach the same temp as the oil intake.  Even 80C from oil Wells will work

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

That was just an example for debug.  Using this setup the natural gas will reach the same temp as the oil intake.  Even 80C from oil Wells will work

Sorry, but I really don't think it does.  You'd have to be pumping in oil at -8 C to avoid breaking your pump, and that's assuming 100% efficiency which would never happen.

Spoiler

NG is created at 538.9 C, and must be pumped out at 125 C.  That gives 2.191(538.9-125) = 906.85 J/g.

Petroleum is created at 399.9 C, and turns into NG at 538.9C, thus we know it will absorb 1.760(538.9-399.9) = 244.64 J/g.

Thus, there are 906.85-244.64 = 662.21 J/g that the incoming oil has to remove.

So, to find the incoming temperature, 1.690(399.9-t0) = 662.21, t0 = -8.06 C

I even tested it just to confirm, and once equilibrium gas pressure is reached, things start heating up.

20180705135614_1.thumb.jpg.dd1cf6d42ce4edf10c4adaf8e98810b6.jpg

There are other factors, one being this won't be running full time as you will boil more natural gas then you'll need allowing it to cool down during down time

Also with all the power generating it would't be hard to set up some aqua tuners to cool the incoming oil if necessary 

I mean sure, if you dump more oil in than you pull natural gas out, then the numbers change (around 1.2kg oil : 1kg NG should cool it enough), but then you're basically just using your oil as a cooling method.

I'm just pointing out that an oil boiler must have some cooling method.

1 minute ago, AzeTheGreat said:

I mean sure, if you dump more oil in than you pull natural gas out, then the numbers change (around 1.2kg oil : 1kg NG should cool it enough), but then you're basically just using your oil as a cooling method.

I'm just pointing out that an oil boiler must have some cooling method.

fair point, I was using cold oil

I'm sure I can tweak the design with more automation to prevent overheating long term

16 hours ago, Carnis said:

The Steam turbine is a trap

No its no, It just needs a little bit of love, Although according to a test design of one I have it seems that maybe the issue with gas being able to flow through it is fixed, if so then..... MY BUILD WILL BECOME A KING! I just need to actually put the cooling pipes in and run it XD

23 hours ago, Wolfcream23 said:

thanks @Neotuck i think i'll use your design as reference!

If you need another reference: I use this system:

image.thumb.png.4851e9e1b156aee1f61fff1a079212ac.png

image.thumb.png.3ee05f2bf21c6ffd17647d614c231d55.png

image.thumb.png.6f2a6338b3c90924c5aada1b851a6df3.png

The hardest part is actually making everything accessible for maintenance and in case anything needs to be changed.

Excess heat is removed by feeding the water to my electrolizers.

I use these kind of heat exchanger systems quite a lot. In this base I have two more, one for the conversion of polluted oxygen in clean oxygen and one for natural gas storage in liquid form.
image.thumb.png.f7f257c6038dc3cbded641d974b0b8a8.png

The natural gas is actually precooled to -100 using 1 AETN.

image.png.018f06fd79bc65f121a567c7350076d5.png

Archived