Power line strange behaviors

I have these strange power line issues. I believe these are bugs. Are they already known ?

1. Potential Power Consumed is lower than current power consumption.
2. Transformer is powered but there is icon that says otherwise.
3. Wires that are not connected directly to power source (only to transformer) are always strained.
Screenshot_33.thumb.jpg.11c916bea6dd7055a26b7d05dbedd523.jpgScreenshot_32.thumb.jpg.4aaaf47f857d92a4761fa5563b31c29e.jpg

Can't chain transformers like that

Also make sure your total power production on your heavy watt side is greater that the total power needs of all your circuts attached to transformers

One last bit of advise is put a battery on the low end of your transformers.  You will be able to run 2kW circuts instead of 1kW

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Can't chain transformers like that

Also make sure your total power production on your heavy watt side is greater that the total power needs of all your circuts attached to transformers

One last bit of advise is put a battery on the low end of your transformers.  You will be able to run 2kW circuts instead of 1kW

Who says you can't chain transformers? I do it all the time.

Transformers can supply 5 kW without a battery, as long as no single device goes over 1kW.

5 hours ago, P10tr3k said:

I have these strange power line issues. I believe these are bugs. Are they already known ?

1. Potential Power Consumed is lower than current power consumption.
2. Transformer is powered but there is icon that says otherwise.
3. Wires that are not connected directly to power source (only to transformer) are always strained.

1.  Might have something to do with current power consumption counting battery charging?  Hard to say, looks like we can't see all of that circuit and don't have the savefile.

2.  Dunno about this one.

3.  Yes, if you look at the definition of a 'strained' wire, you see that any circuit powered by a transformer will be by definition 'strained'.  It's hard to call this a bug, but it is odd.

40 minutes ago, trukogre said:

Who says you can't chain transformers? I do it all the time.

Then please explain why

As I see it connecting a 1kW circut to another 1kW circut with a transformer seems pointless

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Then please explain why

As I see it connecting a 1kW circut to another 1kW circut with a transformer seems pointless

"Then please explain why"

Why do I nest transformers? To test whether it works. Why would you come on the forums and say something doesn't or doesn't work without testing it out yourself?  Please explain that, if you would.

In terms of an actual useful scenario that I've considered, the most applicable scenarios for having nested transformers tend to be where you go over the 20k limit with heaviwire, and want to have two heaviwire circuits, but still want some power transfer between them.   Since Klei has made producing that much power rather more difficult than it used to be, this is less relevant than it once was, although perhaps new generators/consumers will come out in time and make this once again relevant.  Another possibility would be where you want to hook up existing circuits with minimal effort, depending on the layout of your existing circuits, nesting transformers could be the lowest effort way to combine existing circuits.  

If you look at how nesting transformers work , if you had eight 1 kW circuits each with around 800w of generation and 700w of consumption, and you chained them around in a circle, it would theoretically provide a bunch of extra flexibility to the overall circuit, as if one generator went down momentarily the others would be able to cover the shortfall--if transformers distributed the power more intelligently.  If you try to use automation to help balance the load, you end up creating exploits much more easily than you do creating an efficient load-balancing system--but that load balancing system would be quite realistic when compared to large scale power generation IRL.  So, while it's incorrect to say that one simply can't chain transformers, it would be correct to say that the design of transformers discourages chaining.  What I am referring to here is that transformers attempt to fill the batteries up on their output side, draining the batteries on the input side to zero heedlessly.  If Klei added in an option where transformers would only attempt to fill the batteries on the output side up to the level of the average charge on the input side, or even better to some ratio which would be on a controllable slider, then that alone would let us create simple load balancing arrays of transformers--although perhaps that would be too computationally intensive.

37 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Chill dude, I'm not here to pick a fight

Apparently asking other players to explain their therories is a crime

That's nice, I'm not here to pick a fight either, I'm here to talk about chaining transformers. 

I don't know what therories have to do with anything, but I'm sure they're great; and I doubt asking about them is a crime.

That is fine and I honestly never heard the term "nesting transformers"  which is why I asked about it in the first place

However you seemed upset that I said "please" and went off on a rant demanding why I don't test things myself (I do test by the way and didn't get it to work)

This whole thing started when I offered advise on what I thought was the problem on the OP.  If I was incorrect I would like to know how and that's why I asked if you could explain

It's funny that you say I went off on a rant when I intentionally used your own phrasing to ask the return question :)   As I said before, I'm here to talk about transformers, not to listen to your theories on when other people are upset or ranting, so this discussion appears to have run its course, as you don't appear to be responding to anything on topic.

I used to use a 2 tier transformer setup for a battery sensor before they came out with smart batteries, it does weird things and doesn't work too well.  I do like the idea of using them to load balance between several otherwise independent circuits, or to transfer <2kW on small wire long distance to be fed into a higher watt circuit, but as-is they are not designed to do more than safely step-down a hevi wire into small wire circuits.

@Neotuck @trukogre

It seems like a simple mutual misunderstanding of the tone of what was said.  Neither of you seem to have intended to be hostile, yet you came across that way to the other.  What you do is up to you alone, but I would recommend taking a step back, and review what the other has said in a more charitable light, and if you still take issue with something, be straight up about it, and stay respectful, probably in PMs.  Sorry if this comes across as presumptuous, but I would hate to see something bad come from something that seems so minor, especially between two people that seem to have very similar goals.

Funnily enough I have never tried nesting transformers, I would have thought it would work though because doesnt a transformer act like a tiny battery?

Is there a chance that it is not working because the Nested transformer cannot "Pull" the energy to run its own devices?

Also I think the reason your circuit status has odd numbers is the transformers. I notice mine are very weird with mine as well

3 hours ago, trukogre said:

It's funny that you say I went off on a rant when I intentionally used your own phrasing to ask the return question :)   As I said before, I'm here to talk about transformers, not to listen to your theories on when other people are upset or ranting, so this discussion appears to have run its course, as you don't appear to be responding to anything on topic.

When i switch into "godmode" and watch humans like ants, from a neutral "untouchable"(!) position, then you throw the first stone, with hardened words!
Hard like chocolate with >80% cacao, right out of the freezer but that's not my sandwich..

Archived