Ideas on how to make solar panels worthwhile

So, as of now, solar panels are arguably not worth using. The discussion about them from after the last update is scattered over different threads so I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread specifically dedicated to collecting ideas on how to improve them.
Their power production isn't really a problem anymore in my opinion, it was buffed quite a bit while the bunker doors consume a lot less power and also need to close less often. However, two problems remain, meteors will heat up the bunker doors over time and they will cause tiles of regolith to appear that will have to be manually marked for digging. It's definitely possible to cool them and probably even with a net gain, although it takes some effort to set up and most players would probably prefer using less complicated power sources. One way to adress this could be preventing meteors (and only meteors) from directly heating up bunker doors, or meteors could never be hotter than the bunker doors' overheat temperature. Overall I'm not really sure if and how much of an issue the overheating is though.
I definitely think the regolith tiles are a problem though. Unlike with heat, there is no way to deal with them automatically, they need to be marked for digging after every meteor shower. Perhaps the easiest way to fix this would be preventing meteors from forming tiles on bunker doors and instead making them always drop their materials as items when hitting them. Removing the regolith to prevent overheating would still take dupe time, but less and it would also take no micro-management.
If you have any feedback for my suggestions or ideas of your own, please post them below.

overheating is not a problem. overheat temperature is 1200C and meteors are cooler. I'm using 9 solar panels to power my base and natgas during meteor showers. just store the power in battery banks for nighttime.

Maybe just reduce the meteor shower rate a bit would be good start.

I definitely think the regolith tiles are a problem though. Unlike with heat, there is no way to deal with them automatically, they need to be marked for digging after every meteor shower.

The thing is, tough, that feel legit problem. As in, somehing that would happen and without it, things would be a little too easy.

Maybe a sort of compromise, when metor fall their matter fall under the form of objects over several tiles but if youleae them be and enough reolith objets fall in the sme squares then it form  regolith tile ? Gives you a chane to build a system to get rid of the thngs without fully negating he problem.

23 hours ago, Smuch said:

Maybe just reduce the meteor shower rate a bit would be good start.

I definitely think the regolith tiles are a problem though. Unlike with heat, there is no way to deal with them automatically, they need to be marked for digging after every meteor shower.

The thing is, tough, that feel legit problem. As in, somehing that would happen and without it, things would be a little too easy.

Maybe a sort of compromise, when metor fall their matter fall under the form of objects over several tiles but if youleae them be and enough reolith objets fall in the sme squares then it form  regolith tile ? Gives you a chane to build a system to get rid of the thngs without fully negating he problem.

You can have them dug out automatically by having a build order that can't be completed on an area.  The dupes will keep the area clear.  There should be a "Keep clear" option to dig up things like that.

Easiest Suggestion: Make regolith form objects on the floor. If the meteors falls on bunker doors, they can be sweeped by an autosweeper when the bunker door opens again (objects will fall down through the door)

However, if sufficient regolith (say 700+kg) forms in the same tile, they should form a tile.

This method will negate the entire problem.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, Noddix said:

overheating is not a problem. overheat temperature is 1200C and meteors are cooler. I'm using 9 solar panels to power my base and natgas during meteor showers. just store the power in battery banks for nighttime.

Care to share a screenshot of your setup? And an explanation on how you deal with clutter and heat?

2 hours ago, DyingCrow said:

Care to share a screenshot of your setup? And an explanation on how you deal with clutter and heat?

20180613180952_1.thumb.jpg.ffadb239c2f50269b7a7e60c15a96331.jpg

20180613181107_1.thumb.jpg.92f1110336e5da2f735dce638b6545b2.jpg

like i said there is no need to cool the bunker doors. Asteroids keep them on a temperature between 250C and 400C.I Catch dropped clutter witch glas tiles to stop the clutter from heating my solar panels. Solar panels don't produce heat themselves.

Archived