Custom weapon - animation problem

Hi guys, I need a little help with changing animations. I want to make weapon animation similar to gun's recoil after shoot instead of default sword-a-like swing. What shall I change in mod>exported>weapon ? Is it build.xml or animation.xml and how to change it properly to avoid errors and bugs ?  Moreover I need to change the way my character holds gun in it's hand and gun's direction from vertical to horizontal. I know I am asking too much but if someone could show me the proper way I would be grateful. 

Have a nice day,

Yakuzashi

what you need to change isn't the weapon itself. You need to create a new character animation, which means you need to animate the model with all parts, including armor sprites and such and on 3 directions, up, down and side. Fortunatelly you are in luck because there is a template for animation pinned, here's a link

can't we just use out custom character expored file scml to create those custom animations instead of using that custom template ?
im aware that custom template is for animation testing but it still possible to just animate and create your character via scml directly with all needed files with the necessary drawings/frames etc ?

On 6/8/2018 at 2:12 AM, Kronas said:

can't we just use out custom character expored file scml to create those custom animations instead of using that custom template ?
im aware that custom template is for animation testing but it still possible to just animate and create your character via scml directly with all needed files with the necessary drawings/frames etc ?

This is the problem, the ones you see in the extracted game files don't have all the necessary sprites. I'll give a quick example

Say you make a custom walk cycle by using the sprites from a character animation build from the game files. The moment you wear a hat or armor, the items you are wearing, or holding, will vanish because they are not listed on the animation you compiled.

Again why does it happen?
 It happens because those animations you see in the game folders have hidden invisible sprites the decompiler doesn't read when it decompiles the file.

That animation template has all the sprites needed, and properly named, so when you make your custom animation, the armor, hat, tool, etc, show properly.

i see 

but i ran into a problem 

so how does the [anim] works exactly , i mean why does it compile exported>character or ghost character etc
but when i made a custom item for example it wont compile it 

i did take a sample for it but other items compile but this one i edited for tests isn't compiling 

what are the possible reasons to prevent an anim file from being created ? 
aka item / swap_item 
let us say i have 
--Exported V
item    swap_item

i did the texture and sprited and compiled and had their scml and zip along with it but no anim was created 

why would it take my character from exported and make it's anim and not make an anim for my item?

1 hour ago, Kronas said:

i see 

but i ran into a problem 

so how does the [anim] works exactly , i mean why does it compile exported>character or ghost character etc
but when i made a custom item for example it wont compile it 

i did take a sample for it but other items compile but this one i edited for tests isn't compiling 

what are the possible reasons to prevent an anim file from being created ? 
aka item / swap_item 
let us say i have 
--Exported V
item    swap_item

i did the texture and sprited and compiled and had their scml and zip along with it but no anim was created 

why would it take my character from exported and make it's anim and not make an anim for my item?

a lot of things can cause a spriter build to not compile, it may include

- decompiling from an existing build and deleting sprites that were once there.
- putting the file outside the exported folder
- Incompatible image format

I can't really tell without actually looking into the files. Although for that I feel like it would be more fitting if you make a new thread about the issue.