Our air pressure

Hey guys, I know I haven't posted in a while in here. But here is something created that was inspired by a thread found here:

Duplicants should be dead

just a quick run down on the backstory if reading that whole thread seems bothersome.  I know it would be for me.

It basically got down to how duplicants manage to survive with so much pure oxygen (the game should be called too much oxygen) while normal humans would probably be dead. 

Here is a response from NurdRage.

On 5/15/2018 at 4:50 AM, NurdRage said:

The absolute pressure of oxygen might be low enough to avoid the long-term effects of oxygen toxicity. As long as they maintain the same partial pressure.

Early spacecraft used pure oxygen atmospheres since it was easier to maintain. Pressures were kept between 5-9 psi rather than 15 psi as on earth. 

But eventually they switched over to compositions close to earth standard (21% O2, 79% N2). Turns out that at low pressure it's harder to ventilate the air and maintain equipment performance. After all, all equipment is designed on earth, at normal pressure. Since it didn't require too much more engineering, both soviet and american space programs eventually switched over.

Spacesuits though still use the low pressure approach. Just because it's easier to move around without the spacesuit blowing up like a balloon. 

Interestingly enough, one of the big problems with low pressure is heating and cooling. Low pressure air is not as good at heat transfer (both conductive and convective) as normal or high pressure air. So thermal design of equipment was an issue.

Maybe the problems with heat management in ONI is because the air pressure is crap.

AG4BIXH.jpg

Archived