[?] Disable Twiggy Trees HOW??

I HATE Twiggy Trees, they are annoying, you have to wait for them to drop twigs or chop them down, and the spacing required is just dumb. 

Is there a way to make it so Twiggy Trees NEVER spawn? Console Command? World Settings? Mod? Edit a file? 

I'm ok with everything else in the game, just not Twiggy Trees - I loathe Frogs too, but when thinking about Frogs vs Twiggy Trees, I'd rather deal with a thousand frogs than twiggy trees. 

Please, if there is a way, please tell me or show me how. And Devs, please add in Resource Variants in World Settings to be turned on/off. 

Huh, I never remember twiggy trees in the Forge. They must have all burnt away before I could see them. @ImDaMisterL Show us your moderator magic.

Joking about the thread's misplacement aside, twiggy trees are actually quite amazing. Aside from potential performance issues, I don't see why you'd want to disable them. Just pick up some twigs as your'e walking around and you'll have chests overflowing with them in no time. I never saw the point in making twig farms since since twiggy trees started dropping twigs simply by existing.

Although, in all fairness, Klei really does need to add an option to disable resource variants. Even though they are extremely powerful, there are people who show up from time to time complaining about them. More world customization options never hurt anyone.

new to Klei forums, so unfamiliar with proper placement.

Reasons I want to disable them:

1. Placement & range - if you plant them, they have to be pretty far apart. Saplings can sit right next to each other with zero issue.
  2. Regrowth Rate - TTs will whither (if Regrowth rate is set to very fast) and not produce anything, Saplings however stay full til plucked.
  3. Desperation - If say you are struggling to find sticks (thx to TTs), you have to chop them down just to get 1/2 sticks which is wasting your axe for sticks. Saplings, you just use your hands and takes far less time to harvest.
  4. Annoying - Since there's no option to disable them, you are forced to deal with whatever variant of stick farming the game randomly selects. It wouldn't be annoying if Saplings were added with TTs.

More over, I just prefer Saplings overall since I can plant them real close to each other, they don't whither, and they are much easier to deal with. And personally in a real survival setting, you could get sticks & wood from ALL trees (break every branch = sticks) and branches do break off trees due to tree age & heavy winds. 

Would honestly be better if sticks could be harvested from all trees and have just saplings when harvesting by hand. OR make it so the player could harvest sticks from trees by hand or using a hammer. 

3 hours ago, ExVasterist said:

Placement & range - if you plant them, they have to be pretty far apart. Saplings can sit right next to each other with zero issue.

Personally, I've never needed a twig farm. I just pickup a couple twigs as I'm moving from point A to point B and I end up with a chest completely filled with them in no time. But that's not to say that farming them is wrong or anything. I just find that actually farming them to be a hassle due to efficiently using them requires a lot of space. I personally just find it easier to collect twigs out in the wilderness.

Regrowth Rate - TTs will whither (if Regrowth rate is set to very fast) and not produce anything, Saplings however stay full til plucked.

I doubt this is an actual thing. They do stop dropping twigs when there's 3 already nearby, but I've never had one wither and completely stop producing twigs altogether. Every world I've seen would be filled with withered trees if that was the case.

Desperation - If say you are struggling to find sticks (thx to TTs), you have to chop them down just to get 1/2 sticks which is wasting your axe for sticks.

1 axe costs a single twig (and a piece of flint of course). You can chop down 6 fully grown twiggy trees with a single axe. That's a profit of 11 twigs. I find it to be more of a waste of time then sticks.

Annoying - Since there's no option to disable them, you are forced to deal with whatever variant of stick farming the game randomly selects. It wouldn't be annoying if Saplings were added with TTs.

Now this I can 100% agree with you on. TTs in the early game are just terrible. Survival in these worlds often require you to find the dfly desert pretty quickly. But you're wrong on one thing: You can actually change your starting resources. Change your starting resource variety to classic. This will make it so you always begin with grass tufts and saplings. Although this will not stop twiggy trees from popping up from world regrowth. It just stops you from starting with grass gekkos or TTs.

there's a mod I use called Desolation Regrowth, which allows you to change the growth rate of pretty much all "plants"

I've used it for a long time, and with Twiggy Trees set to "never" they spawn occasionally on world gen, but that's because they're replacing thw saplings, if you regenerate, I guarantee you'll never have twiggy trees again.

You should be able to either disable recource variation on world creation, or you can disable it on a running world using.

TheWorld.topology.overrides.prefabswaps_start = "classic"

Keep in mind, this disables the creation of new Twiggy trees, but it doesn't remove the current ones from your world. Over time world regrowth is said to respawn some saplings around the portal, some people said it only works on endless though.

Afaik there's no practical way of just replacing all twiggy trees with saplings.

If you are willing to use console commands you might be able to replace all current twiggy trees with the good old saplings something like this should do the trick:

for i=0 c_countprefabs("twiggy_short") do
  tree = c_find("twiggy_short")
  *spawn a tree at position of treeusing the given coordinates* tree:GetPosition():Get()
  tree:remove()
end

Keep in mind this is just an idea, needs some work before it'll function.

The individual prefab names of the Twiggy trees are twiggy_short/normal/tall/old, so make sure to run the command for every one of these variations once you completed the command.

Archived