Sanitizing polluted water of food poisoning germs

I have made a build that effectively kills 100% of all food poisoning germs made by lavatories and sinks.  I have this setup built above my polluted water reservoir that is also attached to my natural gas gens, slime distillers, and a slush geyser.  In order to keep my polluted water germ free so i can use a water sieve to turn it back into fresh water.

I have all lavatories and sinks pumped to this:

20180319182955_1.thumb.jpg.73dc40ab96abe750853a683dd0750b61.jpg

Polluted water drips in until there is 400Kg.  This will turn on the liquid tepidizer and turn off the liquid shutoff preventing more germy water from entering the tank.  Water will heat up to 85C cooking the germs.  Once there is 0 germs on the germ sensor (after a 30s delay) the doors will open dumping the hot germ free polluted water into the cold polluted water reservoir below. The hydro sensor will close the doors and turn on the liquid shutoff. (the reason for the delay is to make sure all germs are dead, not just the ones on the sensor)  

20180319195457_1.thumb.jpg.54a54760f81aed47043f69c6e070cc8b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ricordis said:

I like it.

How long does it take from turning off the tepidizer until dropping the water masses?

And is there a reason you built two doors instead of 3 or 1?

Once the temp reaches 85C the tepidizer shuts down and germs die off a few seconds later. With the 30s filter I would say about 1 min average between when the tepidizer shuts down to when the doors open

The doors open and close pretty quickly if I did 1 not much water would fall though and if I did 3 sometimes water didn't pool under the hydro sensor causing the automation to get stuck 

1 hour ago, monkey_fingers said:

Nice mate, thanks for sharing. Your design is simple and easy. 

*Takes screenshot for next base once update goes live*

Might want to take a screenshot of this, I tweaked it a little and added a buffer gate leading to the doors with a 3s delay.  This is the longest I can keep the doors open before the germ p.water reaches the valve

20180319195457_1.thumb.jpg.61424c24e35965a14c6c22a453144b0a.jpg

I have never cleaned up the plain or dirty water with germs. It seems, it doesn't matter. Plants accept the dirty germ water and if u cook with dirty water, the result will be same. Food without germs. Why cleaning it ? :shock: I just ignored it.

I always feed the germy polluted water to my Pincha Pepper farm and Thimble Reeds without sanitizing treatment. The plants drain out my septic pool and are even thirsty for more, so I had to pump polluted water from industrial machines to keep them growing.

30 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

I have never cleaned up the plain or dirty water with germs. It seems, it doesn't matter. Plants accept the dirty germ water and if u cook with dirty water, the result will be same. Food without germs. Why cleaning it ? :shock: I just ignored it.

Yup same for me. Why clean water when there is no need to clean it?

1 hour ago, DustFireSky said:

So... if you cook the food you get rid of the food poisoning germs? 

If u use clean (germ) water in your sinks, the dupes don't get filthy after the wash. If it were so, all my dupes were sick. It isn't and they don't have Food Poisoning germs on it. Few Slime lung, but that's normal.

Maybe the germpart of the game is not done yet.

Try it ;)

So... if you cook the food you get rid of the food poisoning germs? 

Right!

Dupes don't care about germy water in the sinks, showers, or lavatories. Plants grow just fine on germy water. Cooking food kills any germs on the food...

Making food with the musher will leave the germs alive (i.e. berry slush).  Also using electrolyzers with germy water will spread the germs, but for food poisoning that doesn't matter. 

As far as I know at least. 

I remember my first "Outbreak" game. It was horrible. All my dupes were sick. The difficult of germs is after a few patches 0 dangerous anymore. In the actual update i have taken one time slimelung, because a biome had 1.000.000 germs per tile. A bug and not normal. Build sinks and the rest of the germ part in the game is just useless. Pills (Vitamin, Placebo) are only used for Slimelung and Food Poisoning, so far I know. Build a own Flower farm is useless, because u don't need it. They must update the germpart of the game.

It's almost like the game is still being developed, and certain aspects have yet to be fully fleshed out or adjusted to have a meaningful effect on current play. Instead being generally easy to deal with, if knowledgeable, as to not completely derail the continuing development of other areas.

*Disclaimer: Non of the above verbal eye roll is meant to be malicious. It's 3 AM.*

Archived