Play without FOW

To perform this trick, first save your game.  Enable debug, then reload your game.  Don't quit/load but straight up with debug active, load game.  This will "disable" debug without disabling FOW

image.thumb.png.a804c9eccf156975206052161a110da3.png

#without re-enabling FOW#
This also gives you max zoom in regular window

image.thumb.png.a4436e2f2054ec6752c2ee8a7f3f9bd8.png

some items wills till be hidden by the fog, but you can at least see where everything is :D

also, no tooltips where FOW technically still exists

to enable debug insert an empty text file with the title Debug_enable in v folder
image.thumb.png.06045f3ec1365d59633306dba1d7ae7b.png

start up game, then press backspace.  After the point more commands will show up in the options menu for controlling debug in the options->controls>   menu press the left arrow.

image.thumb.png.11b5840baac41a84bd2a170cb67deb75.png

my missing fumerole fixed itself after i unpaused, yay

I thought, you are a knight of the light.
Fighting against bugs and exploits. Now you seem, to  support dark legion.
When my grandma walks into church next time, she will do 5 ave marias for you, to lead you back on the path of light.
Amen.

95f632bf5dc752995fe85ce329e75f70.jpg

this one requires debug so its a debug bug and I figure if your gonna play using debug may as well get all you can out of it.

also, activating debug while in this state returns the fow while debug is active.....

Technically it's a bug of the toggle switch for Debug.  For whatever reason, the game doesn't completely turn Debug off when you change from session to session.

You can also achieve this by simply quitting to the main menu while Debug is open, then either using Resume, starting a new game, or loading any game in your save history.

I've done this a few times (accidently) while looking at map seeds.  It appears to actually end up setting the FOW into reverse mode.

i.e. the FOW is gone and zoom out enabled, but everything on the map is treated as if still under FOW (so geysers won't show, etc);

then toggle the debug mode and everything on the map is now out of FOW, but the actual FOW and zoom limitations come back.

Might be wise to remind people that revealing fow actually triggers all unrevealed items/entities to start producing/consuming.

i.e. geysers will start to erupt and emit heat, critters will start to lose heat and die, ice biomes will start melting, etc etc.

Why you'd want to play without fow is beyond me, but meh - this has been around since debug.

4 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Might be wise to remind people that revealing fow actually triggers all unrevealed items/entities to start producing/consuming.

i.e. geysers will start to erupt and emit heat, critters will start to lose heat and die, ice biomes will start melting, etc etc.

Why you'd want to play without fow is beyond me, but meh - this has been around since debug.

Are you sure?  If that's true, why do I routinely find blobs of liquids floating in mid-air throughout the map while Debug is open?

Oh yeah, it's true.  Easy way to see it is to start a new seed, pause and uncover the FOW for a few seconds, then cover it back up.

Once you let the time start running again, you will most likely start to see heat damage and flooded building notifications from

ruins areas that spawned down in the hot zones.

Archived