Enhance the 'move-to' command

I propose a change to the move-to command such that if one clicks on a pending job with the cursor (for example, a liquid valve with a change setting request), that dupe will move to the valve and change the setting before doing anything else.

Or if one tells a rancher to move to a hatch that has a bag request, that rancher will move to the hatch and bag it before returning to their grooming job.

Or if I decide that I want a power dupe to stop enhancing a generator and disable it instead, if I move the dupe to the generator, the dupe should disable the generator and not try to keep adding the chip.

Something like that would be nice. One more way to finesse task prioritization.

I couldn't for the life of me get anyone to change a liquid valve setting recently so your example is spot-on. I wonder if something changed about priorities of some of the background tasks like that in the recent update?

Just now, Supraluminal said:

Something like that would be nice. One more way to finesse task prioritization.

I couldn't for the life of me get anyone to change a liquid valve setting recently so your example is spot-on. I wonder if something changed about priorities of some of the background tasks like that in the recent update?

I ended up having to enclose the valve in doors and lock a dupe in there so they would have to change the setting.

edit: i think change setting is a tidy job, so if perhaps you max out tidy job priority, they might do it first?

1 minute ago, Ambaire said:

I ended up having to enclose the valve in doors and lock a dupe in there so they would have to change the setting.

That's pretty hilarious. Probably worth filling a bug report, too.

Re: your edit, I had dupes with no special priority settings (except farm/ranch/cook/research disabled) and they didn't touch the valve until they had literally nothing else to do. Then, I found that they wouldn't toggle a CO2 scrubber on/off no matter what, even when completely idle. I just cut the power to them while I replumbed instead.

If this gets changed, another bonus is that it would be close to my dream of controlling a single dupe like one can control dwarves in Craft the World.

Which I would still love to get. Control a dupe, tell them to pick stuff up, build with it, or pick up every single sleet wheat or wort seed in a cold biome and haul them all back at once. Etc.

I expect toggle settings is an operate/tinker job. Haven't tested that though. Hopefully if you have someone with operate as their highest priority and the switches at a higher urgency than your other machines it'll get done.  If none of the priorities work for this then it is probably a bug like sweep commands were bugged a week or so ago.

On 16/03/2018 at 12:53 PM, Ambaire said:

edit: i think change setting is a tidy job, so if perhaps you max out tidy job priority, they might do it first?

You need to max toggle job priority for valves/disable/enable buildings. 

36 minutes ago, neoazureus said:

You need to max toggle job priority for valves/disable/enable buildings. 

Yes, the OP was from the occupational update. This is still a feature that would be quite useful. Imagine if you were able to individually tell your miner dupes to mine tiles in a specific order without messing with priorities.

I started playing RimWorld a few days ago and one of the primary features is the ability to tell a colonist to prioritize a certain task if they can perform that task. Digging a tile, supplying materials to a construction, building a construction, doing something at a machine, crafting an item, etc. Complete with shift+click task queuing. I can tell a colonist to build 10 tiles then harvest two trees then supply to something then cook a meal and they will do that exact task queue. It's awesome...

So yeah, it would be amazing if Oxygen Not Included could get a similar feature.

4 hours ago, Ambaire said:

I started playing RimWorld a few days ago and one of the primary features is the ability to tell a colonist to prioritize a certain task if they can perform that task. Digging a tile, supplying materials to a construction, building a construction, doing something at a machine, crafting an item, etc. Complete with shift+click task queuing. I can tell a colonist to build 10 tiles then harvest two trees then supply to something then cook a meal and they will do that exact task queue. It's awesome...

So yeah, it would be amazing if Oxygen Not Included could get a similar feature.

I also start playing, and I also liked it. Another thing I liked is the talks between them, and I hope this will be in oni.

Currently, the only function of r-click is to cancel an info pane.

What if when a dupe was active, r-clicking on a pending task would bring up a list of options for the dupe to interact with that task? Deliver, build, toggle, etc. Like RimWorld does. Could leave the move to button alone, with this idea.

Archived