Tempshift plate and abyssalite

So why is it available as building material for TempShift plate if it hardly ever conducts heat if ever, and I also assume that it doesn't stop heat calculations between gasses liquids etc.

So is there any point to using abyssalite as building material for tempshift plates?

6 minutes ago, TehPlayer14 said:

So why is it available as building material for TempShift plate

Probably because buildings list all materials they can be built of, and I haven't yet seen any building that's only available to be built of specific materials and not a whole category.

2 minutes ago, TehPlayer14 said:

So why is it available as building material for TempShift plate if it hardly ever conducts heat if ever, and I also assume that it doesn't stop heat calculations between gasses liquids etc.

So is there any point to using abyssalite as building material for tempshift plates?

What if you need to seal a room with extreme temperatures and still need dupes to move in and out?  here's a pic that uses abyssalite temp-shift plates over the water and as you can see the water isn't heating up from the temp of the magma 20180314113726_1.thumb.jpg.6d4ad605d250accf06aba651b30420f2.jpg 

20180314113714_1.thumb.jpg.8ab8802b80bcd8379c876e457996e06e.jpg

...Why does that work? I think I must not understand the mechanics behind tempshift plates. It seems to me that the hydrogen should still conduct heat to the water. I thought plates just acted as heat sinks, more or less. But apparently the water in that cell will only exchange heat with the plate, which then exchanges with the adjacent hydrogen? (Well, doesn't exchange b/c abyssalite, but you get the idea.) So they act like a sort of thermal middleman between cell contents and adjacent cells?

44 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

What if you need to seal a room with extreme temperatures and still need dupes to move in and out?  here's a pic that uses abyssalite temp-shift plates over the water and as you can see the water isn't heating up from the temp of the magma 20180314113726_1.thumb.jpg.6d4ad605d250accf06aba651b30420f2.jpg 

20180314113714_1.thumb.jpg.8ab8802b80bcd8379c876e457996e06e.jpg

So tempshift plate has priority in terms of heat calculation then water right?

So if I used tempshift plate next to a mechanized airlock would it get protected from temperature changes that gas applies assuming that the rooms are sealed around by abyssalite?

3 minutes ago, TehPlayer14 said:

So if I used tempshift plate next to a mechanized airlock would it get protected from temperature changes that gas applies assuming that the rooms are sealed around by abyssalite?

no the mecha airlock would still be affected by the gas temp and transfer heat out of the room.  Using a water airlock with abyssalite temp-shift plates seems to be the best way to maintain temp

19 minutes ago, Supraluminal said:

...Why does that work? I think I must not understand the mechanics behind tempshift plates. It seems to me that the hydrogen should still conduct heat to the water. I thought plates just acted as heat sinks, more or less. But apparently the water in that cell will only exchange heat with the plate, which then exchanges with the adjacent hydrogen? (Well, doesn't exchange b/c abyssalite, but you get the idea.) So they act like a sort of thermal middleman between cell contents and adjacent cells?

only seems to be a middleman if the 2 cells are a different state of mass. (gas, liquid, solid) if they are the same then the shift plate does nothing

21 minutes ago, Supraluminal said:

Interesting. Maybe @Neotuck didn't run his test for very long? I was pretty confused as to why they would behave that way.

There are two types of heat transfer in this situation, tile-tile and tile-building.

Temp plates join in the heat transfer as buildings with 3*3 size.

Plates can't directly affect the heat transfer between two tiles. They accelerate the heat transfer among tiles by creating another transfer route: tile - building(plates) - tile.

If the plates are made by abyssalite, the extra route will be cut off. But the route between tile and tile is not affected.

2 hours ago, R9MX4 said:

There are two types of heat transfer in this situation, tile-tile and tile-building.

Temp plates join in the heat transfer as buildings with 3*3 size.

Plates can't directly affect the heat transfer between two tiles. They accelerate the heat transfer among tiles by creating another transfer route: tile - building(plates) - tile.

If the plates are made by abyssalite, the extra route will be cut off. But the route between tile and tile is not affected.

Okay, that's more like how I assumed they worked, as big dumb hunks of material that conduct heat (or not) according to their thermal properties. I wasn't expecting any magical effects on the other contents of the cells they occupy - and I guess there aren't any. Thanks for the rundown.

16 hours ago, Cheet4h said:

Probably because buildings list all materials they can be built of, and I haven't yet seen any building that's only available to be built of specific materials and not a whole category.

Insulated Liquid Pipes can be made out of Minerals....  and Wolframite.  But not other Metals.

Building materials are pre-divided into several groups.

Tempshift plate can be built by ANY_BUILDABLE group, and abyssalite is belong to ANY_BUILDABLE group.

If devs think the plate should not be built by abyssalite, then they should set up a new specifical group for it. I don't think it's hard to finish or time consuming, but I guess they think it doesn't matter.

Archived