Comedy Marble Statue

I can't find it mentioned anywhere that anybody has noticed that the Comedy variant of the queen marble statue has her holding the same staff associated with Metheus and all. I never even saw this variant until today even though I've played over a hundred hours of ANR.

Sceptre.thumb.jpg.c53ea5c2676655d4077070543b69c67a.jpg

Sceptre.jpg.5f3637dadb1b2bf4425ffaeabfeb97eb.jpg

Yeah it's a different staff with a lined handle and curled head with a kink in the base, which is every important visual detail of the staff considering that is its exact shape. That shape that nothing else in the game has, except that staff. It is the exact same shape of a thing which bares no similarities to anything else in the world.

Klei probably just made a mistake and designed the effigy of the main antagonist that suddenly appeared in the game in a nameless patch, wielding a generic meaningless staff that happens to look exactly like the one that a huge amount of the plot cycles around.

I would recommend stopping the sarcastic squabble if you actually want to get into theory-work discussion. You can't expect everyone to just mindlessly accept whatever you put out. That would be incredible boring, and stop the creative thought process.

staff1.png.3a5bb506fac755737ed6eb3ead504c90.pngstaff2.png.cb3c447170206532484fd13f43d2c272.pngstaff3.jpg.d0f7bfbec9ca790e9607992012abe1cf.jpg

These are the important details, which most of the three share. 

• Red - Pronged back.
  • Green - Ornate shapes.
  • Blue - Layered transition to handle.
  • Yellow - Differently textured handle.

Yes, the statue one shares a same general shape to the staff, but that wasn't what I was disputing. I was disputing the specific details which is lacks. If you were to search up "Shepherd's Crook" you'll find many staffs with that similar shape, and given that the tragedy statue holds a sword a peace/war theme to compliment the comedy/tragedy theme makes sense. Now that said, it's likely that the Ancient Staff resembles a Shepherd's Crook on purpose. Since Pugna states that the scepter provides—which is a good connotation. 

To reiterate what I said last time, to me, this is just a normal staff—at least visually. I don't believe saying these are the same staff by appearance is a fair statement. However, it could be a symbolic representation of the staff, but even that is a stretch in my opinion, but I'm willing to accept the possibility, because sticking to your own idea and shutting out the rest is a poor decision for the theorizing process.

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I would recommend stopping the sarcastic squabble if you actually want to get into theory-work discussion. You can't expect everyone to just mindlessly accept whatever you put out. That would be incredible boring, and stop the creative thought process.

staff1.png.3a5bb506fac755737ed6eb3ead504c90.pngstaff2.png.cb3c447170206532484fd13f43d2c272.pngstaff3.jpg.d0f7bfbec9ca790e9607992012abe1cf.jpg

These are the important details, which most of the three share. 

• Red - Pronged back.
  • Green - Ornate shapes.
  • Blue - Layered transition to handle.
  • Yellow - Differently textured handle.

Yes, the statue one shares a same general shape to the staff, but that wasn't what I was disputing. I was disputing the specific details which is lacks. If you were to search up "Shepherd's Crook" you'll find many staffs with that similar shape, and given that the tragedy statue holds a sword a peace/war theme to compliment the comedy/tragedy theme makes sense. Now that said, it's likely that the Ancient Staff resembles a Shepherd's Crook on purpose. Since Pugna states that the scepter provides—which is a good connotation. 

To reiterate what I said last time, to me, this is just a normal staff—at least visually. I don't believe saying these are the same staff by appearance is a fair statement. However, it could be a symbolic representation of the staff, but even that is a stretch in my opinion, but I'm willing to accept the possibility, because sticking to your own idea and shutting out the rest is a poor decision for the theorizing process.

Those "important" details change based on the image and one isn't even present in another picture, and those details are pretty insignificant compared to the actual explicit shape of the staff when that shape appears nowhere else in the game. They were obviously left out of the staff the statue is holding because that level of detail and that design is not consistent with the statue, so it would stand out. The staff the statue is holding has been clearly designed to be that staff but altered in the visual style of the statue to make its presence subtle. That's the entire method of the reference, Charlie holding the iconic staff in her own image.

It's pretty hard to not be sarcastic when you're skeptical that two things which share the same exact shape are not related when nothing else in the entire world has that shape and the relationship between those two things is a classic thematic reference. And this is all being made by a group of developers who have consistently designed secrets and hidden lore, and you're still thinking it's just a coincidence.

If Klei made it as much of a obvious spoonfeeding display as you are saying you would need it to be for it to convince you, there would be zero intrigue or style to the reference. They might as well of just photoshopped a PNG of the staff onto the statue at that point, no subtly at all.

I think you're missing the point. You keep saying this is, this is exact, this is obvious. That's not how theories work. I've already agreed on multiple accounts on the possibility that it could be. The words I pick are chosen for a reason, because declaring something as fact without it being explicitly stated is a false statement. You even go to point out that they share the exact shape but refute the details that make up it's shape. Albeit, I agree with your point about the simplification to fit the statue.

Worst of all, is you contradict yourself by saying it's so exact, so obvious, yet Klei wouldn't make it obvious.

12 minutes ago, Korlie said:

They were obviously left out of the staff the statue is holding because that level of detail and that design is not consistent with the statue, so it would stand out. The staff the statue is holding has been clearly designed to be that staff ...

It's pretty hard to not be sarcastic when you're skeptical that two things which share the same exact shape are not related when nothing else in the entire world has that shape and the relationship between those two things is a classic thematic reference. 

If Klei made it as much of a obvious spoonfeeding display as you are saying you would need it to be for it to convince you, there would be zero intrigue or style to the reference. 

I was never trying to convince you to begin with, because I doubt that's possible, but rather present my point to the masses for them to think on their own. This will likely be my last rebuttal unless you bring something new to the table. It goes without saying that you can refute this final declaration of mine. 

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I think you're missing the point. You keep saying this is, this is exact, this is obvious. That's not how theories work. I've already agreed on multiple accounts on the possibility that it could be. The words I pick are chosen for a reason, because declaring something as fact without it being explicitly stated is a false statement. You even go to point out that they share the exact shape but refute the details that make up it's shape. Albeit, I agree with your point about the simplification to fit the statue.

Worst of all, is you contradict yourself by saying it's so exact, so obvious, yet Klei wouldn't make it obvious.

I was never trying to convince you to begin with, because I doubt that's possible, but rather present my point to the masses for them to think on their own. This will likely be my last rebuttal unless you bring something new to the table. It goes without saying that you can refute this final declaration of mine. 

They do share the exact same shape. It is the same thin handle curled head with a kink in the base. The details that they do not share, have been shaved off to make the staff fit in with the statue. It's not even a theory, it's literally that staff there in the statues hand. There is nothing else in the entire game with that shape, so there is nothing else to have that shape unless the developers made a mistake and accidentally made two things with the same shape. Which is extremely unlikely given their attention to detail. The only skepticism to have is if you're so overly indecisive that you refuse to even make a conclusive statement when it's spelled out to you.

The statue was added into the game during a nameless patch and the statue is extremely rare to spawn at all it seems. Something isn't "obvious" just because it is not hidden under ten layers of sheets. When I refer to it being obvious, I refer to it being obvious that the staff the statue has is the staff associated with Metheus because they are the exact same shape and nothing else in the world has that shape. You can't contort my mention of the word "obvious" into a counterpoint that if this was a real secret the developers wouldn't make it "obvious" because that's too easy. That's just a warped contortion of my words meant to avoid addressing the actual subject. What do you seriously expect, that the developers are dedicated to this arbitrary level of deeplore design which makes it so that they can only design things that adhere to your arbitrary level of un-"obviousness". No you can't just see the rare statue that appeared in the game unannounced, you have to drop a spider gland on the spot where the shadow is during a full moon while at least five bunnymen are in the area and then the statue appears.

All this comes down to you being skeptical that 2 + 2 = 4. This is like any situation in which there are two objects with the exact same shape and nothing else in the world has that shape, in a universe controlled by secret designing gods, and when someone points out that those are clearly the same thing referenced in different locations you're like "Woah don't jump the gun there sonny we haven't spent ten years researching this yet, it's too soon to say that the only two square statues in the world are probably references to the same square"

I have literally no other points; both staffs are the same shape, nothing else in the world has that shape, the situation is unannounced and mysterious, this is classic lore reference style and the developers are well known for making hidden lore. It's so incredibly obvious, I'm just here to diffuse your "point to the masses" with basic human deductive reasoning incase the obvious isn't obvious for anybody else.

And I really don't have anything more to say past this point, because I've already outlined all the clear basic common sense of this situation so there's nothing I can do to make it easier for you if it's this difficult to begin with.

Regardless of our opinions I'd like to add some extra information. Wickerbottom mentions Melpomene & Thalia in her examinations.

Melpomene represents tragedy and is often depicted with a blade while Thalia represents comedy and is often depicted with a shepherd's staff.

Take that however you wish.

Archived