power transformer useage

So I know how to set up the transformer so that it holds 0 energy with the smart battery's being charged up, preventing heat from coming out of it.

But something I just discovered and cannot find a solution to online is the Massive instant high voltage draw they do.

So know I understand why my wire chains that are designed to be less than 2k as potential max pull are constantly being burned out even with gold conductive wires.  Because the transformer is actually pushing 5-6k energy threw them when the smart battery turns on.

I know the heavy watt wire can take 20k but is there a way to hook up a transformer so that you are not burning out your non heavy wires when you are wanting to put one in where you only have 1-2k wire avail as input?

I'm a bit confused, I was under the impression a transformer only allows 1Kw to pass though it and if you have a circuit that tries to pull more than some of your machines will turn off due to lack of power.  They never burn out

Can you post a screenshot so I can see what you are talking about?

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I'm a bit confused, I was under the impression a transformer only allows 1Kw to pass though it and if you have a circuit that tries to pull more than some of your machines will turn off due to lack of power.  They never burn out

Can you post a screenshot so I can see what you are talking about?

Ya me to, it only stores 1Kw inside it, but while its sending power threw it, its actually 1J, which is 4Kw

Just now, MythN7 said:

Ya me to, it only stores 1Kw inside it, but while its sending power threw it, its actually 1J, which is 4Kw

Well I have always divided my circuits into 1Kw with one transformer each and had all batteries and generators connected with heavy watt wires.  Works well for me

Just now, Neotuck said:

Well I have always divided my circuits into 1Kw with one transformer each and had all batteries and generators connected with heavy watt wires.  Works well for me

ya, if you set it up right from the start with a power room type of setup, i noticed this when my base ended up having 4k potential draw if everything was running, so, i put a transformer in the middle of it, breaking the chain down.

so the side on the left of the transformer then said potential max of 1500 ish i think, but when the smart battery was turning on, the power wire would read 5-6k on the mouse hover tool tip value.

1 minute ago, MythN7 said:

ya, if you set it up right from the start with a power room type of setup, i noticed this when my base ended up having 4k potential draw if everything was running, so, i put a transformer in the middle of it, breaking the chain down.

so the side on the left of the transformer then said potential max of 1500 ish i think, but when the smart battery was turning on, the power wire would read 5-6k on the mouse hover tool tip value.

might be a bug, I'll check on this

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

might be a bug, I'll check on this

actually it stores 1J not 1Kw like I said.

someone in one of my other posts had actually made the statement about transformer putting threw 4 1Kw pulse's per second of juice.  Cant recall which topic though.

odd, the bottom said there was a problem and all i did was hit the reload button on my browser and it posted the one im replying in now.

i just hooked up a transformer that serves no purpose right now, but as you can see its pushing threw 5300 W

so much power.jpg

i just hooked up a transformer that serves no purpose right now, but as you can see its pushing threw 5300 W

Re setup the example so that the transformer was not feeding back into itself.

The change is the out side of the transformer is now showing 0/120 for the current status cause of the door, even though the battery is filling up quite fast.

but on the in side of the transformer its still pushing 5000W more than when its disabled.

I think I discovered why this is.

If you have a battery on the input side and on the output side of a transformer, it seems like its able to pull from the battery at a super high transfer rate.  When the battery on the output side is fully charged, the line on input side does not crank up in wicked high value spikes since it seems to be trickling power in to keep the batter on the output side topped off.

But if you have the battery with lots of charge on the input side, and the battery with very little charge on the output side, it seems to be able to transfer power super fast.

just did a test, had the battery on the left side, at 40,000J

Deconstructed the battery on the right, and rebuilt it so it would be starting off at 0J stored.

It loaded that battery to full 40,000J in less than 8 seconds on the normal 1x game speed setting.  so 40,000J / 8 sec, is that 5000W I am seeing.

I think i solved the issue, cause i looked on google, and in real life 1J = 1W per sec.

so much power2.jpg

As a final test, I un hooked all batterys on the left side of the transformer so only my coal generator was pumping into it.

the battery on the right side dident charge up wicked fast, it only showed the line being fed threw the 600W.

So ya, it really must be that batterys are able to supply 5000W of power at once if the draw is needed when pushing threw a transformer.

Don't connect normal and high watt wires to each other.

The transformer should be the converter between the heavy watt and normal wire to make a separate circuit.

Heavy watt can take up to 20kW, so connecting normal and high watt is going to cause all kinds of issues.

5 hours ago, uraharakisuke said:

wait what? can someone please explain?

if you put a power shutoff before the input of the transformer and the smart battery on the output of the transformer, and set the battery to standby at about 70-80%, the remaining power stored in the transformer will go to the battery after the shutoff is triggered, so it holds 0 energy, thus making 0 heat.

But back to the original reason of this post, does anyone know a way to setup some kinda bottle neck on the input for when you have to have a 1k-2k wire on its input?

Here is an example of the 0 transformer heat setup.

Because I have battery's on the 1* line, when the battery at 2* opens to charge, +5000W are pulled threw the transformer.  Reason why kinda solved ish above via speculation.

Setting the power shutoff on input as such, and smart wiring it to the smart battery, setting the battery at 2* 70-80% standby and 10-20@ activate will keep the consumers on its line from running out, but also keep the transformer from storing any power at all, stopping the extra 5W heat production.

The original post was how to set this up so you can somehow restrict the transformer from pulling 5k when you have battery's on both sides of the transformer.

0 heat trans setup.JPG

well, till i found out about this +5000W draw ONLY when you have a battery on the provider side, seems to be just the normal rate of your generators ability per sec - consumers use per sec on the line (consumers before the transformer input).  Keeping the wire line from spiking +5000 going threw to rapid charge the battery on the output side of the transformer.

So before I was under the impression, no matter how much power you put into the transformer, it would only let 1k threw, stopping these kinda spikes, but it seems its actually the cause of them when you have battery on both sides.

many times ill have a line showing 3-4k, but it honestly never draws more than 1-2k because so many of the consumers are just trivial like mech airlock doors, or fluid pumps that only fire up a few seconds per min just to keep the water pipe topped off.

Or 4-5 cooking stations so I can have 1 recipe per machine and just let the dup cook when ingredients become avail, so with only 1 dup allowed to cook, that 600W of cooking draw is really only 60 or 240 W draw possible at 1 time.

Its just when I in the past was putting 2 transformers on the line breaking it down just to be on the side of caution, changing my max value from 4k down to two 2k's, I noticed my wires were constantly being overloaded even though the line reads less than 2000 as its potential max.

This is why I was so confused till the above testing / speculation is kinda making sense on the cause of this +5000W line surges.

In a nutshell, I thought while I was only using producers in my whole game on a single line that summed up to less than 2k gen.  I couldn't understand the reason for heavy wire.

Archived