Food for Dupes

So i was looking at food, and trying to figure out how to best feed them and what is most efficient. so i made this:

Food Kcal / Meal water / 1Mcal Fertilizer / 1Mcal harvests / 1Mcal Cooking/ Meal Work/ Meal Farm plots /1Mcal / day
Farm plots /1Mcal
Meal Lice 600,00 - 16,67 1,67 0,00 1,67 5,00  
Mush Bar 800,00 93,75 - 0,00 1,25 1,25 -  
Picked Meal 1 800,00   16,67 1,67 0,56 2,22 5,00  
Mush Fry 1 050,00 71,43 - 0,00 1,95 1,95 -  
Bristle Berry 1 600,00 75,00 - 0,63 0,00 0,63 3,75  
Liceloaf 1 700,00 29,41 11,76 1,18 0,59 1,76 3,53  
Mushroom 2 400,00 - 12,50 0,42 0,00 0,42 3,13  
Fried Mushroom 2 800,00   10,71 0,36 0,36 0,71 2,68  
Frostbun 1 200,00 50,00 50,00 0,14 0,83 0,97 2,50  
Berrysludge 4 000,00 55 25,00 0,32 0,25 0,57

1,25 Sleet Wheat

1,50 Bristle Berry
Stuffed berry 4 000,00 77,50 1,00 0,63 0,25 0,88 1,00 Pincha Peppernut 3 Bristle Berry
Pepper bread 4 000,00 67,50 32,90 0,20 0,25 0,45 2,50 Sleat Wheat

0,50 Pincha Peppernut

Going by this, currently is least work intensive to make just mushrooms, followed closely by Pepper Bread. i have excluded fertilizing from the table atm since its possible to set that up with auto-sweeper. and i was too lazy to add it once i noticed i had forgot it :p

also, for the farm plots, i did not include the greenhouse, which can make food grow twice as fast.

i might have done something wrong, so for those that want to look closer: Food in ONI

Hi, all good and well, but there is no reason to cultivate other plants, choose one (which is easier or better) and forget about the rest, but what if there is a reason to cultivate more types of food.

An example could be the following:

Duplicants remember what type of food they consume and for every 30 or 40 consecutive days of the same food, the quality of that food decreases by 1 (it can drop til -5), until it consumes another type of food,
that will force players to have at least two different farms.

In my opinion, even that idea is too easy, it would be better if each duplicate remember what he ate, and for every day of a type of food consumed, needs 2 days of another meal, so that the number decrease.
This forces the player to make at least 3 types of food and therefore several types of farms.

It's just an idea, and I hope it does not complicate the game too much.

ps: Definitely a status it's needed somewhere (Stress tab),telling how is the duplicate with the eating condition, otherwise players will not know why stress is increasing.

well, the idea when i started to make this table to was figure out how big farms i needed to supply my colony with food. and also, not to overproduce food too much. 

also while making it i started to want to know how much resources were needed to make each food. maybe i should have separated clean and polluted water.

also, with the changes to food and stress, a high quality food supply is almost necessary. 

34 minutes ago, Xadhoom said:

well, the idea when i started to make this table to was figure out how big farms i needed to supply my colony with food. and also, not to overproduce food too much. 

also while making it i started to want to know how much resources were needed to make each food. maybe i should have separated clean and polluted water.

also, with the changes to food and stress, a high quality food supply is almost necessary. 

Also dupes don't burn though a full 4000 kcal per day, that's just the number it takes for them to die from starvation.  I seen a dupe last several cycles without eating before starving to death

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

is that number set? I thought idle dupes don't burn kcals as fast as those working

That's what 3 dupes used digging a full cycle. And one dupe idling a full cycle. They all used exactly the same amount.

I've never really considered the work it takes per meal.  It's an interesting analysis.  I always looked at the meals solely by the resource costs.  Are you including water delivery in dupe time or do the plants use hydropoinic tiles if they need water?  I assume you used hydroponic tiles unless you say otherwise.

Mushrooms are very easy for the dupes in terms of work hours.  Unfortunately, the same can not be said in terms of safety.  You can use the sweepers to move the slime around, but you need to mine it up first.  That or trap a puft, which is hard in my experience.  Either way, you at some point had to expose your dupes to a large amount of slimelung, which is dangerous until you have exosuits.  I think the biggest argument against mushrooms is their food quality.  Grilled mushrooms only have a food quality of 1, which is not good.  Uncooked mushrooms are worse, at a food quality of 0.  Low quality food is a major stressor now.
Also, mushrooms require CO2.  It will have to be a lot of CO2 if you are going to stop the slime from evaporating.  That means that your dupes might start harvesting, leave to breathe, then come back, which adds to the time the dupes spend harvesting (unless they wear exosuits).

Personally, I feed my dupes with gristle berries and berry sludge and a small amount of pepper bread on the side.  I have a dedicated farmer in every greenhouse because the boosting the farmer does pays for himself and another dupe in resources, which means his labor is essentially free as long as he spends as much time as possible boosting plants.  I don't mess with slimelung when I can avoid it because I'm a germophobe in this game.

A lot of ONI players don't like growing domestic pinchapepper plants because they consume a non-renewable resource (phosphorite).  This is because a lot of us are trying for sustainable bases.  I personally only get my pinchapepper nuts from wild pinchapper plants, which are free.  2 wild pinchapepper plants feed 1 dupe pepper bread for only 50 kg water and 10 kg fertilizer per day. 

Also, one of your numbers is off. Berry sludge takes 55 kg water / Mcal.  5 sleetwheat and 6 bristle blossoms makes on average 1 berry sludge per day, which is 4 Mcals.  That means that 220/4 = 55 kg water / MCal.  In your spread sheet, you put a comma instead of a multiplication I think.  You also left out gristle berries, which take 60 kg water/cycle. 

3 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I've never really considered the work it takes per meal.  It's an interesting analysis.  I always looked at the meals solely by the resource costs.  Are you including water delivery in dupe time or do the plants use hydropoinic tiles if they need water?  I assume you used hydroponic tiles unless you say otherwise.

i made it very simple, just looked at how many times they need to harvest and cook the food for 1 dupe a day. when you get to the later part of the game water and fertilizing can be automated so it won't take time. (actually, i just realized i might have to recheck those numbers,i think i could have made a mistake there.)

Considering you need 0.5kg of phosporite per dupe to grow the pincha peppernut you need to make pepper bread. my currently biggest base with 48 dupes and 281tons of phosporite would surive 11 733 days, with farmer that would almost dubble. i don't know if i need to worry about sustainability.

hmm, i will check the numbers for berry sludge.

12 minutes ago, Xadhoom said:

Considering you need 0.5kg of phosporite per dupe to grow the pincha peppernut you need to make pepper bread. my currently biggest base with 48 dupes and 281tons of phosporite would surive 11 733 days, with farmer that would almost dubble. i don't know if i need to worry about sustainability.

But what happens at day 11 734?  Do your dupes start starving?  If I heard that in 30 years I wouldn't be able to eat anymore, I would be concerned.

Interesting that you brought up 48 dupes, because there are around 96-99 wild pinchapepper plants.  96 pinchapepper plants can support your 48 dupes exactly!  For free!

Honestly, you don't need to worry about running out of phosphorite unless you are claiming a sustainable base, which you aren't.  If a material can run out with no way to replace it, then the sustainable base crowd tries to avoid it in the long term.  That's why we boil water and liquefy oxygen and crazy stuff like that.

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

But what happens at day 11 734?  Do your dupes start starving?  If I heard that in 30 years I wouldn't be able to eat anymore, I would be concerned.

By cycle 11,734, you should have completely conquered the map.  You have access to all of it's resources, use of all of it's space, and have had a staggering amount of time to replace the food source you are going to lose.  Your analogy also doesn't work.  A single food source being unavailable doesn't equate to "not being able to eat anymore".

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Interesting that you brought up 48 dupes, because there are around 96-99 wild pinchapepper plants.  96 pinchapepper plants can support your 48 dupes exactly!  For free!

That assumes you aren't forced to dig some up for your construction needs.  Sometimes you don't have that option based on how the map is drawn and how Geysers or AETNs are placed relative to each other, the map boundaries, and what you have already built.

4 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

By cycle 11,734, you should have completely conquered the map.  You have access to all of it's resources, use of all of it's space, and have had a staggering amount of time to replace the food source you are going to lose.  Your analogy also doesn't work.  A single food source being unavailable doesn't equate to "not being able to eat anymore".

That assumes you aren't forced to dig some up for your construction needs.  Sometimes you don't have that option based on how the map is drawn and how Geysers or AETNs are placed relative to each other, the map boundaries, and what you have already built.

I know.  Thats why I said honestly he didnt need to worry about it.

Also, yeah you do have to dig some pinchapepper up.  I just thought it was a funny coincidence. 

Archived