Why I prefer the rock crusher over the refinery

6 hours ago, Tab1 said:

Yeah it is very funny up until u really really need refined metal and and u wanna bang your head up against that big red button

maybe I am not playing right, or am just not in the end game what so ever.

I tend to just stay holed up tight as I can, conserving my starting water and algae, only hiring 4 dups maybe 5 based on the map.  Until I have the full research maxed out, and at least 1 dup able to exosuit sprint, 1 max farm, 1 able to build automation, and the last able to do art without it being his active job, usually the same guy i make my master cook.

Doing this usualy takes me till about cycle 70-120.

At this point I start exploring via exosuit air locked tunnels with only the exosuit sprinter allowed to enter.

So by this time, from the crusher I have all my machines and wires converted to the conductive ones.

right now what im struggling to get a comfortable grasp on is managing extreme temp change tiles. like 60-80C+ fluid in a 20-30C tile.

Or air on each side of wall where each side is different by over 30C+

And lastly, bring HOT gas from my plastic machine.  Actually this guy, the machine was made from wolf, in a area only 40-45C, no gas pipe back up what so ever, and it kept taking heat damage, cause  the CO2, was always 150C even when it said 0g stored in the machine.

1 hour ago, MythN7 said:

maybe I am not playing right, or am just not in the end game what so ever.

I tend to just stay holed up tight as I can, conserving my starting water and algae, only hiring 4 dups maybe 5 based on the map.  Until I have the full research maxed out, and at least 1 dup able to exosuit sprint, 1 max farm, 1 able to build automation, and the last able to do art without it being his active job, usually the same guy i make my master cook.

This is because of material halvage on digging - you cannot support more that 4-5 duplicants for enough time to expand normally, because of  not enough algae, water, etc... 

3 minutes ago, vovik said:

This is because of material halvage on digging - you cannot support more that 4-5 duplicants for enough time to expand normally, because of  not enough algae, water, etc... 

What do you mean material halvage on digging?

I know the crusher gives half the refined metal weight of the raw you put in with the other half as sand, but never noticed a halvage on digging.

Just looked at the numbers, wow, 1000kg or sandstone tore up to 500kg on the ground.  WOW! over 300 hours played and just learning this, LOL

Just now, MythN7 said:

What do you mean material halvage on digging?

I know the crusher gives half the refined metal weight of the raw you put in with the other half as sand, but never noticed a halvage on digging.

Its just another topic to discuss - duplicants dig out half of original mass of tile as resource.

1 minute ago, vovik said:

Its just another topic to discuss - duplicants dig out half of original mass of tile as resource.

ya, just edited my comment after looking at the numbers on a single dig.

The 2nd tier miner should have 75% pull, and the final tier should have 100%

4 minutes ago, Tab1 said:

Digging only gives you half returns?? and miner levels affect digging?

no, you only get half returns i just found out, heh, I was saying higher levels in mining job should give better returns.

I don't understand why anybody wants to use the Rock Granulator. It is simply a waste of time and resources.

The metal refinery does not put out significant amounts of heat!

If you build it out of Abyssalite it can't transfer it to the environment. My current metal refinery works at 300°C and is still totally fine.

Next, the heating of the coolant is neglectable if you only smelt gold. Just breach a p-water pool in a slime biome and pump the p-water in circles. The ambient temperature will barely reach 40°C even after 100 cycles. This is because unlike other machinery, the metal refinery actually adds energy to the liquid instead of a fixed temperature. So the high heat capacity of the p-water prevents a sharp increase in temperature.

Power is also no issue because 2 coal generators supply exactly the amount of power you need. Hook them up with a smart battery and you will have maximum efficiency.

In the end the Rock Granulator only saves you power which can be translated to saving coal. So what is more valuable in your eyes? Coal or metal?

I understand if someone likes the granulator for the animation sake, I mean who doesn't, and for making sand. Both great.

But for smelting ores efficiency wise one should use the smelter.

Try this, it can easily be build.

If you keep a p-water tank and use it for cooling and pumping the p-water back from the smelter it gets hot -ok- have a temp sensor that automates two automation valves one is for save temperature and goes to the smelter, the other opens when p-water reaches let's say 85°C and pumps it to a water sieve. The sieve returns the cold water to the tank where u can turn it to cool p-water. (Water+3side p-water = more p-water)

I can provide screenshot later if my words haven't painted an understandable picture

48 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

I understand if someone likes the granulator for the animation sake, I mean who doesn't, and for making sand. Both great.

But for smelting ores efficiency wise one should use the smelter.

Try this, it can easily be build.

If you keep a p-water tank and use it for cooling and pumping the p-water back from the smelter it gets hot -ok- have a temp sensor that automates two automation valves one is for save temperature and goes to the smelter, the other opens when p-water reaches let's say 85°C and pumps it to a water sieve. The sieve returns the cold water to the tank where u can turn it to cool p-water. (Water+3side p-water = more p-water)

I can provide screenshot later if my words haven't painted an understandable picture

Yeah that too, whatever temperature polluted water u put in water sieve it comes out exactly 40C water. 

But i prefer using crude oil and pumping hot oil into oil refinery.

Just now, travaldofan said:

Yeah that too, whatever temperature polluted water u put in water sieve it comes out exactly 40C water. 

But i prefer using crude oil and pumping hot oil into oil refinery.

Yes, me too but this requires no oil.

It's for the time before you get oil going. I think not everybody rushes for oil asap. But using granulator till you strike oil can cost you a lot of metal

1 hour ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Yes, me too but this requires no oil.

It's for the time before you get oil going. I think not everybody rushes for oil asap. But using granulator till you strike oil can cost you a lot of metal

yeah, i like oil 50 cycle i'm already in oil biome. poor toasty dupes 

14 hours ago, travaldofan said:

me too before i like rock crushers

but now i just dig down pump crude oil into my metal refinery and output to oil refinery (easy delete heat) 

Does the oil refinery output petroleum at a fixed temperature?

4 hours ago, goboking said:

Does the oil refinery output petroleum at a fixed temperature?

I think so, I was cooling crude oil to 30-40 deg, and it was outing at 70 petro, but when putting in 60-70 deg oil, it was coming out still at 70 petro.

Archived