Allow dupes to gather job experience for unassigned jobs

I just talked to a colleage of mine who has just started playing ONI (which might have to do with my advertisement). He noticed that dupes should start getting experience for digging, cooking, etc. before they are assigned to their job because - obviously - they are working on the job already.

Of course there could be a reduced experience gain from unassigned job duties (e.g. a cook who is digging gets only 50% mining exp) and there could be a limit to which unassigned job experienced can be gathered (e.g. the cook from before can only accumulate 50% of the mining experience without actually being a miner).

He compared the progress to the research progress of higher tier research projects, where you have to gain a certain amount of experience with a less qualified research device (resp. to unassigned work) and another amount of higher qualified research to eventually finish the job (resp. training on the job).

Of course you would not be able to gain experience for a tier that you have not unlocked yet. Also the "unassigned" experience penalty could increase with each job tier.

This would have the upside that dupes that have been around your base for hundreds of cycles and have performed each duty a many-fold times can quicked switch between professions.

@Kasuha: i must disagree.

1) Before the occupational upgrade every dupe was equal and tasks-types had to be manually disabled for them to not perform them.

2) Now with the jobs, we had the opportunity to set strict sets of tasks the dupes should perform. As part of their job dupes received a huge bonus on the respective skillset. Dupes were no longer able (or significantly delayed) to improve their skills apart from these job boni.

3) After a few days with the occupational update it was revised and jobs were changed to be more of a preference model. The huge boni were changed into smaller cummulative boni, which could be aggregated by mastering several jobs. Also dupes were able to upgrade their skills again.

The way i understand your comment, you are refering to the system of (2). That system is no longer active and even if it was, that is not what i am talking about.

What my colleague suggested was that a dupe, who has mined 1000 tiles already, should not start from scratch when he is assigned a miners job. Afterall, he has done some mining already, the huge hole in the map is a silent witness of his abilities. It can be said that he knows which end of the pickaxe he should grab and with which end he can hit the stones (yes, its a beam, but you get my point).

Even before a dupe is assigned to a job, he should be benefiting when performing job-related tasks in a reduced way towards the job mastering progress.

1 hour ago, blash365 said:

1) Before the occupational upgrade every dupe was equal and tasks-types had to be manually disabled for them to not perform them.

That's pretty much how it is now again. The only inequality emerges as your dupes gain different masteries (because then some can do certain tasks and others can't) and completely disappears again once they have everything mastered.

2) Now with the jobs, we had the opportunity to set strict sets of tasks the dupes should perform. As part of their job dupes received a huge bonus on the respective skillset. Dupes were no longer able (or significantly delayed) to improve their skills apart from these job boni.

Before, duplicants were gaining stat points by doing tasks of corresponding type (e.g. cooking stat by working on musher or grill). Now they need to be assigned to corresponding job and then they can do any tasks (even unrelated to the job) to gain the mastery and corresponding stat points. Both stat points and job perks stay even if dupe is assigned to another job after gaining the mastery. Selected stats (athletics for sure, not sure if any others) are still leveled up by execution.

3) After a few days with the occupational update it was revised and jobs were changed to be more of a preference model. The huge boni were changed into smaller cummulative boni, which could be aggregated by mastering several jobs. Also dupes were able to upgrade their skills again.

And in just a few more days, jobs started giving no preference at all. Tasks are chosen completely by the bottom jobs selection window (where you can disable certain tasks to certain dupes, system pretty much the same as it was before), priority of the task and proximity. A cook will happily go digging if he has access to it and it's the highest priority task. And it will give him experience into cooking.

Right now, half of my duplicants are working on their Tenured Scientist mastery as that's the last mastery they don't have yet. They're happily getting close to finish although there's not even a research desk built in the base for over 700 cycles.

The main change compared to before the upgrade is that now the player decides which stat points will what duplicant level by gaining corresponding mastery, instead of acquiring mastery in everything randomly by doing corresponding tasks.

Yes, it would be better if they would gain experience while working and also additional education at a library table in a library or in a research lab - which would take some of their time. Library tables would have priority assigned, so dupes would return there if there's nothing more important to do - like it is with research stations. "Jobs" should be renamed to "Education",

Selecting education for a dupe can let them slightly prioritize corresponding task types among tasks of the same set priority, but only if they are in vicinity.

Archived