pitcher water pump piped

7 hours ago, Zarquan said:

It makes conceptual sense to have a piped pitcher pump, but pitcher pumps are already so powerful.  Dupes can pull out hundreds of kgs of water in a few seconds.  I just stick one in my base with a liquid vent nearby.

So wouldn't convenience for power be a decent trade-off? The bottler could have an internal storage of about 300kg of liquid. After being used it would take a bit of time to fill back up due to pipe flow rate. This would mean that the pitcher pump is still more powerful, for those who would desire to stick with it.

15 hours ago, Ceribus said:

He is asking about a plumbed water bottle filler

Goddamit, so stupid. Dupes can take a tonn of water, bottler can have internal storange ox x kgs, but you are tied to speed of fluid traversal in pipes ANYWAY. Why you dont like pitcher pump + water sieve? It is cheap, configurable and versatile - you can configure water stored, increase/decrease input/output rate by amount of pumps and water income pipes with water sieve. Why are you asking about solution that can potentially take a lot of time and not nearly as versatile as one, present in game?

I agree to this comment

7 hours ago, DraconicSiege said:

So wouldn't convenience for power be a decent trade-off? The bottler could have an internal storage of about 300kg of liquid. After being used it would take a bit of time to fill back up due to pipe flow rate. This would mean that the pitcher pump is still more powerful, for those who would desire to stick with it.

I would say the benefit would be size, you wouldn't need 2x4 tiles for the pump + another 4+ of open pit space for the water.

The reason I  thought of this was more for having tidy compact aesthetic access to water for things like your super computer / cooking stations.

Indeed the area difference is considerable, even if this was a 2x2 structure (lets call it a water fountain) that's still a huge improvement and can fit just about anywhere in the base.  This is one of those things people are just going to expect because we live in a world of indoor plumbing and we expect to get water like this in our daily lives.

I'm certainly not saying that a piped bottler doesn't make sense.  It is a good idea and a natural progression from manual pitcher pumps.  However, they would have to make it do something special, like work with a sweeper, or be more powerful than a pitcher pump, which would be hard.  Pitcher pumps are too powerful to be easily replaced.

I'd give the building a try as follows, 2x2 built with 100kg metal ore, liquid intake, holds 100kg of liquid internally, Dups may take a pitcher of liquid from it if the internal storage is adequate.  No electricity required.  If that doesn't prove useful enough then modify it.

I understand that a piped bottle despensor would be a sleek, compact, convenient efficiency to the game but does it really add anything or does it just over simplify the game?  The pitcher pump as it is now is one of the first things you can build in the game, it should be primitive. If you don’t like how far away it becomes later in the game from your computer and your micro musher then build the small pool and move it closer.

BUT let say Klei decided it was a good idea, where would it go in the tech tree? Would you have it from the start? If it’s too far in the back why even make the device, you won’t need water for you computer because you are almost done all your research and you have moved past meallice and mushbars because your dupes have higher food expectations so really you are only using the grill by this point. 

Maybe we should just make water connections on those items instead and then you don’t even need the pitcher pump after you have access to real pumps and we don’t need to make a plumbed pitcher pump at all.

If you start tipping the scale of convenience vs challenge too far it start to trivialize a lot of the game. At the same time there can be parts of the game that need to be fixed as a quality of life thing to improve the game. I’m my opinion this is not one of them. Not to say I’m right and everyone asking for this is wrong just wanted people to step back and ask if this change really benefits the game.

Archived