Morb in my starting water???

So with the Occupational Upgrade release, I started a new world. Imagine my surprise to see a morb, in the starting biome, in my starting water. Not only that, he's pooping out polluted oxygen at an alarming rate, which is bubbling up through the water and being released out the top of it. This water is completely enclosed (I haven't dug into it yet). It also mysteriously has chlorine floating about above it, and the air is immediately being infected with slimelung thanks to the morb.

Is this supposed to be a thing? I've never seen this before lol.

image.thumb.png.fa1fb6a0ef5f400194d100810b048ac1.png

Here's one of the polluted oxygen bubbles rising up through the water.

image.thumb.png.e3187fc6b6c0efa3a2837dd29e080918.png

Just in case anyone thinks I'm being cheeky and somehow created this myself, here's a larger pic (seriously just started; it's cycle 2):

image.thumb.png.f72c4d3c68da6710678f79aa4e05ed04.png

Morbs have a chance to spawn in the toxic jungle biome - you'll notice that occasionally the abyssalite boundaries of the biomes occasionally 'miss' their target boundaries and cut through biomes - this is the same case with the starting biome. There's are bounds checking errors in RWG translating boundary lines and biome features dimensions - this is what happened - more specifically the 'lake' feature of the starting biome looks like it's cutting through the wall of the starting biome in into the toxic jungle.

Morbs don't drown - probably a bug.

Looks like where that Starter Biome water pool spawned just so happened to line up with a Chlorine/Morb pocket from the neighboring Heat Biome.  If you dig a little further in that direction, I guarantee you'll find more Heat Biome there.

From your 3rd image, you can see the Slime Biome straight across, level with your Printer Pod.  Follow that straight down, and you encounter the Morb's pocket.  I would assume the Abyssalite starts to show through in that shadow, right next to those 2 tiles of Sand with the Buried Object, right near the top of the air space over the water pocket.

As to why it's producing P-O2 so fast, it's a known issue with Morbs.  The code associated with them only checks for atmosphere.  It doesn't check to see whether the Morb is underwater or not.  So, because it is underwater, the code thinks it is in a vacuum 100% of the time.  This ensures that every time it tries to make P-O2, it will do so.  Combined with it being unable to move due to being underwater, just like being trapped in a Mesh Tile or Pneumatic Door....  Yeah, lots of P-O2.  And, of course, Slimelung.

If you can disinfect the P-O2, it's basically free O2 for you.  A nice boost early.  But then again, it's quite difficult to do that early...

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

If you can disinfect the P-O2, it's basically free O2 for you.  A nice boost early.  But then again, it's quite difficult to do that early...

To be fair though, there's no danger with PO2 until he starts digging out slime, so depending on what the map looks like he can ignore it in the medium to short term.

3 minutes ago, Collic said:

To be fair though, there's no danger with PO2 until he starts digging out slime, so depending on what the map looks like he can ignore it in the medium to short term.

The issue is that it's coming from a Morb, so it will also be full of Slimelung.  Which will then reporduce in the P-O2.

1 minute ago, PhailRaptor said:

The issue is that it's coming from a Morb, so it will also be full of Slimelung.  Which will then reporduce in the P-O2.

Ah okay, I didn't know Morbs carried slimelung, I thought only pufts did that.

11 hours ago, Collic said:

Ah okay, I didn't know Morbs carried slimelung, I thought only pufts did that.

Pufts are not a source.  Any Slimelung they breathe in on the P-O2 will be expelled on the Slime they produce.  It LOOKS like it's coming from them, but they are innocent bystanders.

17 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

From your 3rd image, you can see the Slime Biome straight across, level with your Printer Pod.  Follow that straight down, and you encounter the Morb's pocket.  I would assume the Abyssalite starts to show through in that shadow, right next to those 2 tiles of Sand with the Buried Object, right near the top of the air space over the water pocket.

Yeah, there was definitely a slime biome over there but no abyssalite. But I'm sure it's probably what's been mentioned about world gen quirkiness where things just don't spawn quite right. 

Was quite the interesting random result. But I had no idea morbs not only couldn't drown (never tried to drown one lol) and definitely never knew they'd be like machine-gun PO2 producers if stuck in water *thinking* :D 

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Archived