Allow limiting doors to jobs...

The title is pretty self explanatory, but the general idea is to allow doors to be restricted by job as well as individual.  This would allow us to more easily manage aspects of the colony and essentially create our own job priorities.

How I envision this working is implementing a toggle that allows you to set things "by job" instead of "by name".  This would allow keeping the door UI relatively clean, while allowing specific doors to be job based rather than dupe based.

43 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Sounds like something that might be reserved for a duplicant traffic control building really...

So...a door?  That is exactly what doors are currently in ONI, lol.

8 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Could be a special building, called the "special door building"!

There is no point to making another door, when we already have three doors that serve this purpose.  Just do as I suggested in the main post and add a toggle to the doors to switch them between name and job restrictions.

Doors allow you to restrict by dupe, not by job.  If I decide I only want one job through a door, I have to find every dupe in the colony of that job on their list and manually give each one of them access.  Then if I add someone, I have to add them to the list on every door in my base with this requirement.  If someone no longer holds that job, then I have to go to each door in my base where that job is supposed to be allowed to enter and remove them.  Having all this happen automatically would be very nice. 

I go further and say we should be able to create custom groups and let them through doors.  Jobs are standard groups and then you can define other groups.  For example, I want all my people with Germ Resistant in one group to do the germy jobs, like minor digging in the slime biome.

Could be technically done in a similar manner how material categories are done in compactor - "categories" are jobs and you can have rights per job, and "items" within categories are duplicants and you can have rights per duplicant that would override the job setting if used. If a duplicant has a personal setting and switches to another job, his personal setting goes with him.

The only drawback would be that duplicants would be primarily sorted by job, not by name. It may get harder to find a particular duplicant in the list.

My initial point was that adding this feature to all doors would essentially render the duplicant traffic control gate useless - as it stands there's not much use to it without heavy automation - adding the OP feature to a "gate" or a powered door would make said category more useful. Automation would allow us to turn it on ( allow filters - limited passage ) and off (disallow passage) - the new filter would be job types or tasks. Access restrictions could then be viewed similar to the pass/go nature of doors - this would allow duplicants to return through the gate but not go back out again ( like the exosuit checkpoint but with a gate ) and use passing left or right logic.

My point is - duplicant traffic control is where this idea belongs - in fact door access permission themselves undermine this category - automation ports working on doors with no power is only there for our convenience and makes no sense electrically -  so don't count on that feature ( access permissions or automation ) sticking around on non-powered doors when it comes time to lay down the polish. There should be a reason for powering that door. And you know the one I'm talking about.

Archived