Infinte build orders QoL changes - make them useful!

I tried to search for this, but my apologies if I missed an existing topic. My request is simple, execute infinite build orders (like for the cooking stations) in the queue, but ignore them and process other items if a duplicate cannot complete the task. Currently a single infinite order takes over a machine completely, blocking any other task. For example, early game I often want a recurring order for mush bars and if possible for lice loaf. This isn't possible with just one station. Ideally a queue with multiple infinite orders would forever make those items (according to their ordering in the queue), skipping over any that cannot be completed and proceeding to the next item, recurring or not.

This has been requested multiple times. However with automation in mind and mid-late game bases it is often a huge bonus if you have multiple cooking stations or metal refineries or w/e you are using to produce stuff, since smart storage, pressure plates and smart refrigerators can steer the total amount of stuff you want from a specific crafting station.

So in the end you are always going to want 1 crafting station / product. And during the earlier stages it isn't that big of a deal to micromanage the production a bit.

14 hours ago, clickrush said:

So in the end you are always going to want 1 crafting station / product. And during the earlier stages it isn't that big of a deal to micromanage the production a bit.

Constant "building is out of resources" and going back and forth to remove the "continuous", insert few of the other kind, re-add the continuous is annoying.and boring. IMO it is perfectly logical to take the next recipe if the first can't be made.

14 hours ago, clickrush said:

This has been requested multiple times. However with automation in mind and mid-late game bases it is often a huge bonus if you have multiple cooking stations or metal refineries or w/e you are using to produce stuff, since smart storage, pressure plates and smart refrigerators can steer the total amount of stuff you want from a specific crafting station.

I'm not sure what end-game you're looking at; but I'm about to eclipse Cycle 300 in my Colony, and I've done so with a single set of cooking appliances; and at one point (before de-prioritizing food entirely for a while) was sitting on 1,000,000 Surpless kCal.

I'd love to see what @Collic suggested, as I just don't see where in the game at any point I'd need multiple stations.

40 minutes ago, AileTheAlien said:

Yeah, infinite jobs should be popped off the front of the queue and placed back onto the back of the queue. Fairly easy to grasp what's going on, especially if it were animated in the UI.

I think it is better not to rotate them, but to use the 1st unless it can't be made (lacks resources), because food differs in quality and usually one wants to produce better food if possible and switch to less good as backup. The effect of rotation is already possible with multiple stations.

My suggestion: Remove the "Continuous" button, then have the normal button show a small menu just above it when clicked. Then you could type in a number and press enter or some button of sorts, and it would add a order in the queue that has a small number underneath the icon which shows how many processes are left. Of course, the +1 button should be renamed to "Create" or "Fabricate" with these changes.

Archived