Suggestion: Alarm controlled by automation

I suggest that an alarm device be added to the game. It would be controlled by automation, and in case its input becomes active, it would make an alarm (preferably in the form of a notification in the way that the game currently notifies about duplicants suffocating, etc.).

The purpose of this device would be custom alarms/notification. For example, the game can notify about insufficient oxygen generation, but by the time this takes place, it may be already quite late. If the problem is e.g. caused by running out of water, getting new water may take quite long. Setting up a hydro sensor with an alarm attached to it would allow one to detect such problems in time.

1 hour ago, llunak said:

I suggest that an alarm device be added to the game. It would be controlled by automation, and in case its input becomes active, it would make an alarm (preferably in the form of a notification in the way that the game currently notifies about duplicants suffocating, etc.).

The purpose of this device would be custom alarms/notification. For example, the game can notify about insufficient oxygen generation, but by the time this takes place, it may be already quite late. If the problem is e.g. caused by running out of water, getting new water may take quite long. Setting up a hydro sensor with an alarm attached to it would allow one to detect such problems in time.

You can build alarms with automation. A lot of automation elements make sound when switching their state. For example the power shutoff's tone depends on the length of the wire, so you can even create melodies. You could build an alarm by sending out a quick pulse signal that triggers multiple sound making elements by a signal loop.

3 hours ago, clickrush said:

You can build alarms with automation. A lot of automation elements make sound when switching their state.

I've of course tried that and I can only build useless alarms with current automation, as the elements make sounds only wherever they are. If I'm deep down in the asteroid busy mining oil and my water tank in the center runs out of water, I won't know unless I explicitly have a look, in which case I may simply explicitly have a look at the thing itself anyway.

5 hours ago, llunak said:

the elements make sounds only wherever they are

Perhaps you can make a "global alarm link" setting off beep-beeps in the base and at few selected points on the map. If you connect wires with buffer gates then, when you notice an alarm, you can follow the green line to what has caused it.

You can invert the logic (on means "ok", no alarm) and use and gates for connections to have a "fail safe" alarm - then you follow the red line to the cause.

Archived