Band aid tips to mentally survive preview

1) The ultimate tip is to not make beds and mess tables at all. It means that dupes don't have to run back to base for sleeping and eating which clears a lot of their schedule getting tasks done much quicker.

2) Make restrooms with a small foods cache (ration box set to a very low hold capacity but with high priority) and a decentralized oxygen supply, ie. an algae deoxidizer, a battery and a hamster wheel close to larger projects away from the base. This further eliminates travel time for miners and builders especially.

3) Cure the sore backs with massage tables. Unfortunately there's still a bug that makes gofers and couriers ignore the massage tables but once every 6 cycles or so cycle them off the job so they get their sore backs attended to.

4) As written on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: "Don't Panic". Overusing the *-priorities will make everything worse. Things just take longer to get done in the preview than they did before so don't get impatient.

5) And most important of all, think before placing orders, previously you'd just dish out orders, and if the dupes got stuck you could most of the time save them. Not so any more. Plan ahead.

Might you consider putting food and tables and beds and latrines and oxygen generation at worksites?  Basically make a minibase?  That way, you can have your workers (miners, builders, etc) sleep on site and make travel times almost irrelevant.  Couriers can bring supplies from the main base fairly quickly.  You can even stop them from deciding to work on a distant tasks with door controls. 

Also, according to my math, berry sludge is the most efficient renewable food source from a water standpoint (except grilled mushrooms).  They only take 55 kg of water per dupe, if you don't count the water cost of making fertilizer.  I'm not because people usually use fertilizer synthesizers in their power plants anyway.  They also have a +3 to quality, so you can even feed them to your higher level dupes.

33 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Might you consider putting food and tables and beds and latrines and oxygen generation at worksites?

I tried that but just getting rid of beds and mess tables completely seems to work a lot better and requires a lot less micromanagement in assigning them every time they move. It gives dupes back the freedom to move around freely.

8 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I tried that but just getting rid of beds and mess tables completely seems to work a lot better and requires a lot less micromanagement in assigning them every time they move. It gives dupes back the freedom to move around freely.

This is very sad when you have to stop using key components of the game to make said game playable..

No beds; no tables, no priority and your dupes might be their jobs done.  Epic fail Klei.

Make everybody a miner (so they eventually learn to dig abyssalite) and use strict priorities for everything and you get the old system, just with much slower duplicants and less priority levels. Not a perfect solution (and not the way I play the game) but one that works and is simple to implement. 

What I consider are "microbases". A building team consists of a Gofer, a Miner, and an Architect. So you can build a microbase for three dupes in a remote location, let them move in, separate them from the rest of the base via access rights, and let the base supply them food while they get the work done.

51 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Make everybody a miner (so they eventually learn to dig abyssalite)...

If you remove them from their position they will no longer know how to dig anything. So you have to hat dance them constantly which is the entire problem.

I've found a rather disturbing and radical solution. The return of the vomit comet (sort of).

6) People that grow and prepare food are locked inside a sealed enclosure. These, and only these people have access to rest rooms. Everybody else just soil themselves where they are. The food prepares bring food to food boxes in a special air lock with sinks so gofers that distribute them have clean hands, and at every food cache there's a sink so dupe wash their hands before eating.

That means we've eliminated all reasons for workers to get interrupted. No beds to run to. No mess tables to have to be at when eating. And no rest room to do their business. Dupes have never been so productive in this update before and seem not to care too much about wandering through pools of piss everywhere they go as long as you slap some posters on the walls here and there.

26 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

If you remove them from their position they will no longer know how to dig anything. So you have to hat dance them constantly which is the entire problem.

I didn't write anything about removing them from their Miner position. Why would you do it?

4 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

I didn't write anything about removing them from their Miner position. Why would you do it?

Get an exosuit engineer into an exosuit. Use the move to command to get them to the dig fast as they suffer no movement penalty in exosuits and have athletics bonus. Change job to miner. Aka hat dancing.

55 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Get an exosuit engineer into an exosuit. Use the move to command to get them to the dig fast as they suffer no movement penalty in exosuits and have athletics bonus. Change job to miner. Aka hat dancing.

As usual, you're just criticizing your projections. You probably wrote that reply before you were done even reading, the less understanding what I wrote.

48 minutes ago, Ichikai said:

How would you make everyone a miner when a) the mining occupations are limited, and b) using anything above the most basic equipment requires an occupation, e.g. a grill?

Exactly. But what Kasuha means, I pressume, is to train them all in mining so they can switch hats when needed. But that's really not a point to make as that is more or less a given that you do that as you pretty much have to. I'd like to avoid hat dancing as much as possible.

Archived