Plz a bug with the tall birds

the tall birds that breed no longer follow me when leaving the game and this happens only when they are in adolescence, although I have no idea if they would continue doing it in adulthood, it is difficult to know if they stop following me when leaving the game .. .

1 hour ago, Megaman1716 said:

the tall birds that breed no longer follow me when leaving the game and this happens only when they are in adolescence, although I have no idea if they would continue doing it in adulthood, it is difficult to know if they stop following me when leaving the game .. .

Well, teenbirds will turn on you if they don't get enough food. If they don't follow you around (assuming you've fed them), then that actually is a bug. However, when they mature to tallbirds they will turn on you. After all: 

44 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

...since adult Tallbirds are dicks.

The tall birds when are adolescense, adult or baby in the base game (dont starve, reign of giants) they follow you if you hach the egg... So why not in together?...

I feed the tall bird everytime, but when i log out of the game the tall bird automatecly stop to follow me.... And other problem if you see the tall birds now kill their childs when this are hached from the egg.... Thats obvius a bug!... Klei help me, help everyone.... I need my tall birds soldiers!!  :'v

1 hour ago, Megaman1716 said:

i log out of the game the tall bird automatecly stop to follow me

Because you left him alone on the server for such a long time. Poor Hatchling!

This was only half a joke, since your character disappears from the DST map, the kidbird stays. Noone to follow around. Ofc it loses the one it's supposed to follow then :P.

Why are you assuming Tallbirds killing their children is a bug? It's been there and known for such a long time, they prob would've fixed it by now.

Also

On 24.1.2018 at 11:12 PM, Daniel86268 said:

Tallbirds are dicks

Hi. Tallbirdologist here. I know exactly what's causing this.

You see, in DST, smallbirds are coded to latch onto the nearest player and treat them as a parent. However, this doesn't translate to teenbirds, because Klei tried reworking tallbirds AI entirely for DST and it's a huge mess. Let me break this all down, and this will take a while.

Tallbirds kill smallbirds and teenbirds. For some reason, in their coding, they are told to target smallbirds and teenbirds that are not theirs or other tallbirds (Note that the code refers to smallbirds and teenbirds as the same thing) This is from tallbird.lua:

Spoiler

local function Retarget(inst)
    local function IsValidTarget(guy)
        return not guy.components.health:IsDead()
            and inst.components.combat:CanTarget(guy)
            --smallbirds that aren't companions are parented
            --to other tallbirds, so don't target them!
            and (not inst:HasTag("smallbird") or inst:HasTag("companion"))

This is basically saying "Hey, don't try to kill smallbirds that are either mine or other tallbird's"

However, because the world needs to reload, and when data is refreshed for a smallbird, it's told to seek a player for a suitable parent, the tallbird then thinks that it's smallbird/teenbird is no longer its own and it begins attacking it.

There's another interesting line here, but this is from smallbird.lua:

Spoiler

local function TeenRetarget(inst)
    return FindEntity(inst, SpringCombatMod(TUNING.TEENBIRD_TARGET_DIST), function(guy)
        if inst.components.combat:CanTarget(guy)  and (not guy.LightWatcher or guy.LightWatcher:IsInLight()) then
            if inst.components.follower.leader ~= nil then
                return (guy:HasTag("monster") or (guy == inst.components.follower.leader and inst.components.hunger and inst.components.hunger:IsStarving()))
            else
                return guy:HasTag("monster") or guy:HasTag("tallbird")
            end
        end
    end,

Basically, if you notice, smallbirds don't naturally target things to attack, however, teenbirds do. This function "TeenRetarget" is telling the teenbird to start to target specific entities based on what they're tagged as, and as you can clearly see, one of these tags is "tallbird"

This means that even if you were to keep the world loaded long enough that a natural smallbird would grow into a natural teenbird, it'd then spin right around and start killing it's parent.

This is just the basics of how broken tallbirds are for (Seemingly) no other reason other than Klei has kind of forgotten they exist.(Do not quote me on this, this is just an observation.)

Now, your issue is that your teenbird doesn't follow you.

Well, since smallbirds and teenbirds share the same .lua file (They're cozy in there like that) the smallbird seems to have the (basically) function of "holy crap i need a player to be my mom" locked down tight. However, when they shift into a teenbird, it seems they forget this information, but don't forget the brief moment where they lose the companion tag.

This is because when you leave the world, basically, your player despawns before the rest of the world does, and everything else despawns after. This is why when you close a world with hounds chasing you, reloading it might have them target something else. Their brains forgot what they were looking for. Same with teenbirds. Smallbirds are told to just seek out the nearest player, it's not that they particularly remember you. Teenbirds lose this targeting and will just become aimless.

So there, if anyone doubted I was a tallbirdologist, now you know I don't kid around.

Also, if there could be some dev input on this thing I've reported like 12 times, that'd be fantastic.

Archived