[Suggestion] Overlayers - Resources

I have spend a lot of time to look around and search for certain type of resources: omg, where is closest metal ore? "Insufficient oxygen generation": WHERE IS CLOSEST ALGAE?

So, to help us: pioneers on asteroid, could you please introduce layer that would allow us to highlight certain types of materials? Of course that would work only on area which player can see, not in fogs of war. You want some iron ore? Here get it from list -> highlighted, algae - highlighted. Maybe just metal, no matter what element it is? Here we go.

Resources highlighting overlay could save same time wasted on searching for stuff around the map

I would say that this is a good idea.  It would be a nice scanning feature to quickly get how much stuff you have access to if you could make the algae flash.  I know I've made it to late game only to look at an underdeveloped area and go "Hey, there was algae here I could have used".  It could also have a visual indicator of the mass of the tiles, as tiles vary significantly in their masses.  There could even be a select feature in the overlay that lets you know how much of a chosen resource is in a selected area.  It would also be nice to be able to see the trace gases in a chamber and be able to differentiate naphtha from crude oil.  @AlexRou can you tell me how much algae is in that area just by looking at it?

In current image it can be any mineral (if you talk about this one in middle).
For some people that might be easier to find what they are looking for, for others (like me) sometimes it's hard. Adding such overlay won't hurt anyone.

You should be glad that you don't need it :), I do

I have searched a whole lot for specific elements myself and would find some overlay/search to make the process more convenient helpful.

For one there might be resource patterns where a single resource might not that easily stand out from its context (@AlexRou: ofc it does in a mono-chronomatic context), but the even more common usecase for me is that is SIMPLY DONT KNOW the color of the element i am searching. So i basically have to manually scan every tile that i can not exclude at first glance.

E.g. Gold -> Sand? -> Copper? -> Phosphor? -> Bleach Stone? -> ...

I think it would decrease the learning curve to get in to the basics of the game and it could provide a convenient tool that would help things stand out more.  Also, some materials are colored weird based on the biome.  I believe snow and sand are hard to distinguish in the ice biome.  I am almost certain I would use such an overlay, especially if it highlighted tiles and other built objects made from that element.

8 hours ago, AlexRou said:

How would this be better than just looking at the blocks? Copper is well copper colored and algae is green. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I'm colorblind with green. Copper is not easy to see. I have to scroll the screen left and right so that it shines.

@Slyke Another good reason to have this overlay.  I am thinking it would look like the ventilation overlay, where it greys everything out and shows the pipes, except it would highlight a selected material type and maybe have some sort of indicator saying how much there is.  The way I see it, it removes no conceptual difficulty from the game play and adds a nice convenience factor that could save a lot of time.

7 hours ago, blash365 said:

ofc it does in a mono-chronomatic context

Well I was using the examples the OP were giving me.

Anyways I'm no newbie so I guess you learn how to differentiate even the sightliest color difference after a while. (I'm on a crappy TN monitor so no one can say it's easier cuz I have a fancy OLED HDR with 100% color accuracy or something)

And I was trying to get clarification from the OP on the usefulness. If newer or color blind players find it useful then thats fine. Just something to add, color blind players can have very unique/different sense of colors from each other so I would suggest a color range selector so they can configure it to colors they can see best.

Archived