Food & translations

Hello,

We're currently working to improve the french translation for oni and I have a question about Meal Lice and Mealwoods. How are we supposed to translate it to remain as close as possible to what the devs had in mind?

- Lice as in parasit sucking living beings' blood (ie: keeping the idea of a living being on the branch)
- But what about "meal" in this context ? It could be interpreted as snack/lunch/food or as dough/cereal/grain.

Considering the description "an oddly wriggly grain that can be harvested", both could be valid.

My shot with the "meal" would be the connection to the mealworm. Mealworms are one of the main important insects to be cultivated and eaten in human nutrition.

So I guess it is not meant to be related with the "dish", "lunch" or "meal" but rather a hint towards the mealworm. In ONI a grain-worm-hybrid of sorts.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting a better idea now.

The common name for mealworm is "ver de farine" in french (which could be translated back to "flour worm", don't ask why). I think i'll go for "pou de farine" ('flour lice') to keep things understandable.

So for me ( I'm french too)
I will use:
Mealwoord: Arbre a poux (ou ver de farine)
Meal Lice: pourquoi pas " Grappe de Poux" ou "Grappe de ver de farine". ( Grappe peut être remplacé par un terme désigné le fruit pour exprimer le fait que ça soit un fruit d'un arbre : Grappe, Grain, Fruit, Cocon...) For me Mealwood, must be refering to a tree and not the animal. IRL we got some tree call in french " arbre à papillon"  (butterfly tree, because he attract butterfly, so may be mealwood attract Lice or Flour Worm)
Liceloaf: Pain de Poux.
Melwood Seed : Graine d'arbre à Ver de farine
@krop Si besoins d'idée encore hésite pas sur d'autre terme

Sorry for french in this post but it's abou translation  ;)

28 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Personally I see meallice as akin to Mealmoth larvae that you use as fish food

But you wouldn't feed your duplicants with it ;)

1 hour ago, Hasharin said:

@krop Si besoins d'idée encore hésite pas sur d'autre terme

Translations for meals / animals / plants are the hardest. We try to find things close to the original description/name which can be easily understood.

Archived