extended vertical build reach 1 tile

Well this is mainly a issue with rooms that need an internal space of 4. The shower and the dup printer are both 4 tiles high and the maximum reach of dups is 4 tiles so in order to build the area into tiles to make it a real room you need to either go above it or build temporary ladders. This would just allow dups to fully enclose area's that need this height without the effort of building and removing a ladder.

I dunno how easy this is to implement but if its just a case of changing a 4 to a 5  I thought it was worth mentioning.

11 minutes ago, Naomi Yuki said:

Well its easy to get around but the question is; Is it necessary? I don't see it being a game play enhancement to have to build just to unbuild to make a room.

No rooms (or bases) require showers.

I like the idea of upgraded tools to make the duplicants more unique and dynamic.  I think that, if they are implemented, they should probably be mid-late game and definitely not early game.  It would be cool to have tools that improve skills, like construction and digging.  Digging upgrades could increase digging range and skill and construction upgrades could increase build range and skill.  I think they should probably take refined metals or maybe even plastics and can only equip one at a time.  In the early game, I don't really have a problem building a ceiling above my 4 or even 5 tile high rooms.  It would be nice in the late game to not have to go through the required steps...for a price.  It would encourage players to specialize their duplicants more.  However, if they really want us to specialize, they need to give us more options on jobs than enable-disable, like priorities.

In the early game, I agree that you should have to muddle through with the 4 tile range.  They chose that range for a reason, and I think that reason is to that you have to do something special to get a roof on a room that is 4 tiles tall.  Building ladder scaffolding in the rooms isn't too difficult.

The only rooms I want to have 5 tiles of space are my farms, so that I can fit planter boxes/lights (1tile), paintings (2tiles) and the plants (2tiles) in one room. Otherwise I just stay with 4 tiles of space for everything else.

One other method to solve this problem is to simply plan ahead on what you want to dig first. I dig my farm rooms top down, letting the Dupes dig the upper 3 tiles first and then the remaining 2 tiles. Only if you make a mistake assigning your digging orders you will have to resort to ladders.

So, I think the current range is just fine because it is enough to conveniently reach most digging projects.

Archived