Seeds Are Poisoned, What Are My Options?

I was getting frustrated because I was trying to plant Mealwood seeds in my Planter Boxes but for some reason couldn't select the seed and "Plant" despite having well over 100 seeds. I checked my storage and discovered that somehow it all got poisoned. Now I need to either find a way to clean them or get rid of them and I don't know how to do either. Can I get some advice?

Incidentally, to the developers: a more clear reasoning on why I cannot "Plant" would be nice. I hunted around for quite while before realizing that my seeds were compromised. I thought it was a bug at first.

Edit: I think I've found a course of action for now. I built a new storage unit far away from the rest and set it to accept seeds only. I then went to all my other storage units and disallowed them to be used for seeds. My Duplicants removed the seeds from my main storage and put them into the the new storage container where, apparently, the germs are slowly but surely dying off due to their exposure to high oxygen and isolation from other germs. I don't know if this will result in useable seeds but it's a start, I guess.

17 hours ago, Jigabachi said:

Edit: I think I've found a course of action for now. I built a new storage unit far away from the rest and set it to accept seeds only. I then went to all my other storage units and disallowed them to be used for seeds. My Duplicants removed the seeds from my main storage and put them into the the new storage container where, apparently, the germs are slowly but surely dying off due to their exposure to high oxygen and isolation from other germs. I don't know if this will result in useable seeds but it's a start, I guess.

Chlorine might kill them faster :)

Thought I'd come back to report: isolating the poisoned seeds worked and, even though it took many, many cycles they became useable again.

The seeds were infected Slimelung germs, and I was able to watch the number of germs die off one by one using the container info panel. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a save to show my work so I can't really prove that this happened. But it did! And it was mildly annoying!

Yeah, it's tricky, typhoid marry goes to harvest, contaminates a plant indefinitely, takes seed to storage, contaminates seed with their grubby hands, seed contaminates other seeds.

Terrible. I now build wash basins in front of all my crops, I have seen too many crops being indefinitely infected by bizzaro stuff, like, how this happens to me early game I think is, if you fail to get water to the basin before they use the potty, then they go and touch the pump with potty hands...

Potty hands contaminate the water they just pumped out, perhaps licking or spitting into the container in an act of spite, they load the "clean" water into the basin, IMO this is the ONLY washroom object implemented to spread germs after washing if the water is contaminated. I could be wrong, but I just can't see how else typhoid marry managed to slip through 3 basins and contaminate the isolated crops otherwise.

I suppose in a rare situation, if a dupe were trapped previously and had piddled themselves and not walked by a basin then harvested crops it would be one way. (Just food poisoning.) You sure you didn't have any slimelung infected tiles touching your storage or tiles etc?

Seeds stack, I've found that depending on the order a material can get stacked, the infected quality will (rightfully) apply to the stack of x object, this is probably happening in the compactor as well. (just a guess)

If it's feasible for your world, having storage in chlorine means that you very rarely have to worry about disease.

I was lucky enough to have a chlorine geyser right next to my  starting area on this map, so all storage can be kept both close by and sterile.

image.png

@Wolfcream23

Yep, exactly as Oozinator said, they need tiles when you first build them but they stay usable after the tiles are destroyed.

Also works for the food lockers as you can see in my screenie.

I'm assuming that as they don't have an operational state they aren't being checked for foundations in order to be usable.

Archived