Pitcher Pump vs Liquid Piping

Ive seen more people prefer to use the Pitcher Pump as of late rather than the Liquid Piping and Im wondering if there was a reason as to why. Im still getting started and so far Im partial to the Liquid Piping but Im wonder if there are some caveats to it that draw people more to the Pitcher Pump that I havent discovered yet, or cannot see yet since Im not a veteran at this.

4 minutes ago, Izzy248 said:

Ive seen more people prefer to use the Pitcher Pump as of late rather than the Liquid Piping and Im wondering if there was a reason as to why. Im still getting started and so far Im partial to the Liquid Piping but Im wonder if there are some caveats to it that draw people more to the Pitcher Pump that I havent discovered yet, or cannot see yet since Im not a veteran at this.

You should only use a pitcher pump if your dupes will then bring the water to a building. Otherwise if your trying to move a liquid around its way faster just using a pump.

5 minutes ago, GreatGameDota said:

You should only use a pitcher pump if your dupes will then bring the water to a building. Otherwise if your trying to move a liquid around its way faster just using a pump.

Thats it too. In the beginning when I was watching videos of people for strategies before I started I saw people using a strategy of playing a Liquid Pump in rogue water sources outside their bases, and running pipes along it to draw water into the water valve of their base. Now I see people using the Liquid Bottler. I wonder what that change was about. I still think Im going to use the the piping for moving water into and throughout my base but Im wondering what their thought process is.

No Idea what "change" you are referring to here. But it is pretty easy to determine wether a pitcher pump or a liquid pump is more efficient.

The running speed and the distance times the carrying capacity of a dupe plus the fixed animation time of the pitcher pump determines the speed at which you move a liquid from A to B. Then you have to put it into a bottle emptier which also has an animation time and sets the lower cap of overall speed.

A liquid pump can also be completely duplicant driven if you set up a wheel and maybe a couple of batteries. It moves one tile of 10kg/s.

My guess is that the liquid pump wins in every situation.

Pitcher pumps work fine in cases where you're in no hurry to get the job done.  They require almost no time or infrastructure to set up, and if you set them to a middling priority then dupes will just move bottles of water here and there when they'd otherwise be sitting idle.

If you need a fast or stable supply, then you'll want a proper pipe.

Ok I tested it and it seems like you are right. In terms of duplicant efficiency the pitcher & bottler process looks much better than the wheel & pump process. The duplicant who was using the pitcher pump was idling much more and this was over about 100 tiles or so and freshly created duplicants. However the speed at which the water moved was about the same.

The wheel setup probably starts to work better over large distances because delivery can be aborted by duplicant needs so the work is reset (especially before getting the water), while the wheel can be setup inside your base and has an incremental gain.

Depends on how many Bottle Emptiers you use. A Duplicant can usually carry at least 600 Kg of liquid at a time, which is enough to fill up three Bottle Emptiers. A Liquid Pipe, on the other hand, can move 10 Kg/s and spew from the Liquid Vent immediately. In practice, over long distances (such as fetching Crude Oil), I've found the Pitcher Pump method to be more efficient, but I still run pipes to my Steam Geysers.

Archived