Winter's Feast Trees

I was playing with the Winter's Feast Trees a bit lately, and there are a few things that I don't understand regarding the gifts we get when sleeping under them (under = near).

I think it's clear that we can get two types of gifts: either 4 food (like hot chocoa, gingerbread man etc), a few trinkets (1 or 2?) and a usually good item (moggles, rabbit earmuffs, beefalo hat etc), or we get only one food item with a charcoal. The latter case looks definitely like a punishment for something, but I'm not really sure for what. It looks like you get this gift if you are naughty (logical...) or if you sleep every night (we shouldn't abuse Klaus' Charlie's kindness?).

However, I have set up a line with 9 trees, and no matter what, I always get the small gifts there. Maybe if there are too many trees and we get too many presents, they are automatically the worse ones? Does anyone know how this system works exactely, what does it depend on what kind of gift we get? Maybe someone who know how and where to find such stuff in the game's code?

Archived