Pushing the limits of oxygen generation

I don't even know where they would all fit on a screen tbh, but practical and simple are two different things, and calling a 10 stage system simple is pushing that word a bit I do believe

As for selling anything, Saturnis said 118 mealwood per dupe, I have 800 mealwood and 9 dupes, and excess O2 and PO2 and am not harvesting constantly so I could double/2.2 increase me PO2 output thats 80 to 40/36 so lets say 38, thats 3800 mealwood for 100 duplicants the biggest road block is converting pO2 to O2, but since this is a farm, if you remove all other sources of slime lung this will fuel them indefinetly, if you harvest your crops their dropping sporadically, rotting sporadically, and it flows at a steady fps with 800, no lags except the morning graphic lag that has always happened.  The only time I get any lag is when mealwood drops mass sync and then rot/drop sync it lags on the drops

Given the map size, and the amount of tiles taken up by lava and neutronium, you'd probably need to set aside about 50-60% of all available tiles on the map for planting mealwood. More if you want decent airflow. I'm not sure if it's even possible to fit on the map when you have to have beds and bathrooms for 100 dupes as well.

I've done many experiments on oxygen generation. Large and small scale. Tested every method we know of, and I can tell you this. In my honest opinion. Mealwood rot piles/polluted gassing off is the second worst option for generating anything other than trivial amounts of oxygen. It is second only to generating oxygen from slime.

I've seen your experiments and your right, they only generate trivial amounts.  Update your methodology to klei's Automation Upgrade where we have doors pushing air by the Megaton, and performance improvements so great I can run this farm while sharing this conversation and listening music on youtube so honestly I don't know what your complaining about

image.png

29 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

As for selling anything, Saturnis said 118 mealwood per dupe, I have 800 mealwood and 9 dupes, and excess O2 and PO2 and am not harvesting constantly ...

I'm not harvesting at. That's just wasting dupe time.

And look, I'm happy that you like the game and all but it does get a little tiring to see you constantly being obtuse on every subject. Most people got over the mealwood oxygen craze 4-5 months ago.  You think that's my only experiment? You think I haven't redone the tests several times?

You have to harvest on load to break sync drop

Its exasperating because all I'm doing is sharing my findings and your going "That wont work, its this" my results disagree, klei changes things regularly, I'm not even asking you to run new experiments and you are correct on how much space it would take up but it is technically doable though you are again correct about it not being desirable and probably not running on most any normal system

All of this doesn't change the fact that it IS now working without dragging my computer to screaming halt

My next experimental setup is to build a 4000 plant garden for 100 dupes and find a way to liquify it fast enough to maintain their needed air supply, will you wish me luck or continue naysaying?

I'd rather keep up the interactions though I'd prefer less attacks against myself, keep things more on topic if you please, and in that vein Saturnis you said earlier that you had a known system of feedback loops using the gyesers, slickersters, and everything in a closed loop produced excess power/water/o2  Thats not simple, its huge, complicated, I don't know it or understand it but I am curious, you said its Proven to supply 100 dupes while integrating seamlessly into the bases natural needs all around and thats impressive in a multitude of ways, I've got a one off wonder and I'm proud of my work so please stop bashing me it doesn't make your gem any less shiny

I think that mealwood rotting is a clever way to generate arbitrary amounts of oxygen.  You can utilize the unused space to get a unit of (PO2/s)/tile.  It also is very good for power-free oxygen generation, as you can take the polluted dirt and put it in to storage compators spread out around your base.  It is certainly easier to manage than large numbers of morbs, especially with the slimelung.  I believe this is worth exploring.  Worst case, you have the largest mealwood farm the world has ever seen.  That said, it is my belief that morbs have more potential for pure mass of po2 generation, as it is independent to the space of the system in your colony.

I have been thinking the ability to move solid polluted O2 around with the dupes can be very useful, as I can easily oxygenate a distant room without having to pipe o2.  It is a simpler system to get a solid form that doesn't rely on pufts.  I would certainly consider adding a large mealwood rotting room to my base for this purpose.  Plus, you don't have to worry about slime lung as much.

I certainly believe that Karbrute's exploration in to this method is a worthy endeavor.

I have a suggestion that would make this larger, but might increase the rate of PO2 production.  If you were to use planter boxes, you could put them on automated doors, which could be used to drop the mealwood in to an inaccessible pit with a bit of polluted water in it (<1000 g per tile).  The benefit would be that they wouldn't eat the stuff that is just about to rot and the polluted dirt would (according to my understanding) release its polluted o2 faster.  The obvious downside is the utterly obscene amounts of metal required to pull it off, and this extremely large room would be even larger.

Good luck with your experiment.  Have fun!

Archived