Stop temp conducting across doors

So I created a logic to close and then open a middle door to create a vacuum and what I thought would be a thermal insulation between a hot and ambient side.  Thermal lock.

The vacuum appears to be created (you can't read anything with mouse over but thermal shows cold).  But the doors still conduct heat out.

I tried different materials for the middle door but it seems to still conduct?

Note the pipes are all abyssalite. 

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.63b4e58842cce4376c21159d0c1e93e3.jpg

Non thermal image.  Hot water tank which I wanted to use automation to prevent heat into main room.  Old design was to stagger the door with hot door high and cold door low but I thought, why not automate with vacuum lock.  What am I doing wrong? Or is this not possible?

(For automation, there is a switch triggered when dups enter.  It counts down for 20 seconds so they can do whatever and leave (avoids door closing while inside and getting them all lost and broken...so then the door closes for 2 seconds, then opens and stays open). 

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.3df1711d3cf12ad7b366bc62a5139000.jpg

5 minutes ago, chemie said:

OK but that takes 7 squares.  I am looking for something smaller in footprint.  Do 2 doors and a pump work?

Yes, even in a vacuum temperature is conducted via contact. An open airlock still has a frame, and so conducts. The space needs to be completely clear of any "tile based" buildings. A mini pump works perfectly :) 

7 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Yes, even in a vacuum temperature is conducted via contact. An open airlock still has a frame, and so conducts. The space needs to be completely clear of any "tile based" buildings. A mini pump works perfectly :) 

Does a minipump, which uses plastic, melt at plastic temps?

I have not tried yet but I was worried that mini pumps and high pressure vents are useless above 70c plastic melting temp  now?

Anyway, I can always go back to non-automated

Untitled-3.jpg

Having done a spot of testing, I can confirm @Neotix is quite right - they don't transfer heat if permanently kept open.

image.thumb.png.e7cc87d6252e17a98ddae535258dba11.png

image.thumb.png.ba579c766cf15d728273a6e778d05c5d.png

I think the issue that OP (and myself) had experienced is when you're using airlocks that do close for a short period, i.e. a sequential airlock of multiple doors.

Even when you close doors, heat transfer will start but when you open them again, transfer also will stop. Door's frame don't take a part in heat exchange.

I think that heat is transferred by automation wires. They're made from copped that have very good heat conductivity.

17 minutes ago, Neotix said:

Even when you close doors, heat transfer will start but when you open them again, transfer also will stop. Door's frame don't take a part in heat exchange.

I think that heat is transferred by automation wires. They're made from copped that have very good heat conductivity.

Yeah it's that short period that they're closed that i'm talking about.

Archived