Are compost piles counter productive?

Compost piles let you get rid of your polluted dirt,  which seems like a good thing but polluted dirt makes  polluted oxygen over time. Wouldn't it be better to never build a compost pile and instead store the polluted dirt by some deodorizers?

It as been discussed previously. The answer was "yes", it's possible, but it requires a lot of plants :

On 17/10/2017 at 5:01 PM, Saturnus said:

Meal wood rot pile although sustainable is really not that practical as it takes just over 117 meal lice plant to gas off enough PO2 for one dupe. Morbs are far better. A submerged morb gas off 19.33(3)g/s so you just need 5.1725 of those per dupe. A combination of several methods is probably best.

19 minutes ago, Daxterr said:

Compost piles let you get rid of your polluted dirt,  which seems like a good thing but polluted dirt makes  polluted oxygen over time. Wouldn't it be better to never build a compost pile and instead store the polluted dirt by some deodorizers?

I use compost piles for 20-30 cycles until I have a good place built to store the polluted dirt for conversion into po2.  , then I get rid of all my compost piles.  Never bothering to build the compost piles at all sounds like a perfectly viable option as well.  There are a lot of uses for po2, you can use deodorizers, or a mechanical condenser, or even feed a puft farm with the dirt to obtain slime.  Cilya seems to be answering some related question,  not the question you actually asked.  

I'm not sure if gassing off polluted dirt is better or more efficient than gassing off polluted water from lavatories in the long run. I like the convenience of lavatories transporting the germy water in liquid form instead of the dupes needing to manually carry polluted dirt piles around.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

I'm not sure if gassing off polluted dirt is better or more efficient than gassing off polluted water from lavatories in the long run. I like the convenience of lavatories transporting the germy water in liquid form instead of the dupes needing to manually carry polluted dirt piles around.

I have double digit tons of polluted dirt from fertilizer synthesizers and rot aging into polluted dirt on some bases, even without using outhouses at all.

Just now, trukogre said:

I have double digit tons of polluted dirt from fertilizer synthesizers and rot aging into polluted dirt on some bases, even without using outhouses at all.

Yeah, but that's also either germ free, or very low germ count, unlike the polluted dirt from outhouses.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Yeah, but that's also either germ free, or very low germ count, unlike the polluted dirt from outhouses.

True.  My implication was that perhaps the OP was also talking about polluted dirt not from outhouses, and that you were possibly introducing a side topic.  I use lavatories over outhouses exclusively, once researched, for the reason you mention.

18 hours ago, Saturnus said:

You'd have to stack the germ count pretty high to make offgas food poisoning dangerous. Even overpopulated large stacks offgas slowly enough that the "puffs" manage to disinfect themselves in seconds, at least in oxygen atmosphere. I haven't checked the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure that even a 20t stack can be handled by a single deodorizer.

Just now, Coolthulhu said:

You'd have to stack the germ count pretty high to make offgas food poisoning dangerous.

Wasn't talking about the off gasing. I was talking about when dupes have to move it they come in contact with it and have to waste time at a sink/wash basin. Or just run around covered in food poisoning germ spreading it everywhere.

Archived