Macro Storage Management Solution

By mid game I always seem to have a ton of storage containers. When issues arise, like needing to audit all my containers to expel an item universally, or collect currently dispersed items (e.g. collecting all my coal to a new container by my generator), I have to click through 10+ containers to achieve the end. 

Having a page where each container was itemized in a list (with collapsable drop down showing the contents) would be neat. 

The thing is, it turns out that having 30 containers full of raw minerals, 20 full of dirt, etc, causes a huge amount of fps lag, so we kinda need Klei to simplify storage in a way that lessens temperature update calculations for so many different stacks of material, instead of just organizing the display better.  Otherwise, would be a smashing good idea.

I personally suggest:

1. Make the compactors like 16 times more capable. They are unrealistically compressing solids anyway!

2. Make them paintable, so I coul paint my raw metal storage blue, mineral storage yellow, algae starage green... It would look so much better!

Being able to expand single storage compactors, by placing them next to each other, would be nice.

The translation of that would be being able to link the settings of a group if buildings.

Rather than only instantly copying the profile, any changes would be shared automatically.

I don't know what solution would be easier or better to implement, but these would be an improvement.

Anyway, it seems like more specialized storage containers, that provide specific conditions, are likely in development.

I personally applaud the restraint shown in menu use, as an interface tool.

The animations lean toward self explanatory, allowing immersion to remain uninterrupted by large boxes and text.

Another option would be a storage management building that shuffles stored materials in connected storage compactors.

The more object-oriented functions can accomplish similar macro tasks, while providing progression and problem solving opportunities.

If container storage temperature calcs are as problematic as folks say, then yes, I think it'd be really good if Klei prioritized this because right now the lag situation is a major drag on the game.  They could implement 'dedicated storage', which would be a building with like 5x the capacity, but only stores one type of thing at a time.  And it shows a picture of the type of thing that it is storing, for ease of reference.  It's made of plastic and/or refined metal, and perhaps requires power.  It could even hold the materials inside in stasis, so no temperature calcs at all.  Does not accept food, and also does not let gases inside, so not useful in a chlorine room type setup.  But I'm for whatever solution if it helps reduce lag.

Archived