Water Purifier will not stay constant

Hello, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just doing something wrong. For some reason, whenever I use a Water Purifier with a dedicated water pump submerged in Polluted Water for the input and a pipe going to a Liquid Vent for the output, I CANNOT get it to actually continually purify... while on normal speed. For some reason (I noticed while getting a screenshot for this post) if I use the highest speed option, it is constant. When on normal speed, it will take a few KG of water in, put a few KG out, stop for 2 seconds, and then repeat. If anyone knows what could be wrong, please let me know, or if this is expected, I'm not even sure. I added lines to the picture below that shows the setup I'm talking about. You can look at the gaps in the output pipe to see the problem.

C8zNDLp.jpg''

I've been getting a very similar problem with gas pumps into air filters too. The pump operates at 50% while alternating pipe blocked vs not, despite there never being a backup in the pipe. It doesn't happen to all my pumps just one, and despite deconstructing and reconstructing the setup it continues to behave that way. I only started having this problem yesterday.

Oh yeah forgot that was a thing. Been months since anybody mentioned it. The pipe consumer capacity is too low.
It uses 5 kg/s and leaves 5 kg in the storage. The pipe consumer then takes 5 kg from the pipe to fill it back up to 10 kg.
With 5 kg left in the pipe, only 5 kg packets start to flow to replace what is missing.

This leads to situations where there is only 5 kg in the pipe while there is 0 kg in the storage. Sure it gets enough to run one second,
but now it has to wait for the next delivery of 5 kg because only 5 kg was missing when consumption rates were checked.
When the state machine sees the storage is empty it shuts down until the pipe fills back up again and it can take the 10 kg it wanted in the storage.

Essentially, the consumer capacity needs upped to 20 kg to support 2 seconds of pipe flow,
because it taking only enough to replace what was consumed causes the flow to screw up.

2 hours ago, Denabu said:

For some reason (I noticed while getting a screenshot for this post) if I use the highest speed option, it is constant.

It may be an update bug. The game has a history of bugs associated with game speed. If you look closely at pretty much any building, in its tooltip, it will flicker between 66%/100%/133% of the input/output.

It should, however, average up to 100% of output. If it doesn't, that's a serious bug.

1 hour ago, Byste said:

The pump operates at 50% while alternating pipe blocked vs not, despite there never being a backup in the pipe.

That's a totally separate problem. You probably have a non-unidirectional pipe system. Make sure all the fluids go exactly one way at all the times by using bridges and valves. Watch the packets in gas/liquid view to figure out where does the inconsistency come from.

1 minute ago, Coolthulhu said:

It may be an update bug.

State machine bug to be exact. The simulator is running too fast for the operational check to ever see the moment where there is 0 kg in the storage.

Thanks for the information guys. If I'm understanding you correctly Risu, it sounds like 1 pump to 4 distillers is the best idea. I'll need to set that up and try it out. Good news for my supply of clean water either way :p

1 hour ago, Risu said:

State machine bug to be exact. The simulator is running too fast for the operational check to ever see the moment where there is 0 kg in the storage.

Yeah, but why is it speed dependent?

Are variable delta time updates still a thing? If not for the variable input/output rates in tooltip, I'd think that they went away in Oil Update, because it sure got laggier (though stabler).

9 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Yeah, but why is it speed dependent?

State machines still use real time to schedule their updates. The simulator uses delta time to keep track of progress to next tick.
As such, there is a desync where state machines could be running at any time whether the simulator is ready or not.

Still think that they need to move everything that touches the simulator at all to use the SimUpdate methods which are called when the simulator ticks. Then they can have the state machines get their updates from the results of those calls instead of whatever is going on at the current time.

7 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

That's a totally separate problem. You probably have a non-unidirectional pipe system. Make sure all the fluids go exactly one way at all the times by using bridges and valves. Watch the packets in gas/liquid view to figure out where does the inconsistency come from.

Nope. It's a bug, definitely. See: no confliction in pipes, space for packets to move, pump says pipe is blocked.

dumb pump.png

On 10/29/2017 at 8:57 AM, Byste said:

Nope. It's a bug, definitely. See: no confliction in pipes, space for packets to move, pump says pipe is blocked.

Thats really odd, its definitely set up fine.  Is it only that pump? if so have you tried rebuilding that pump and filter? if that doesnt work you should post a bug report with the save

Archived