Inefffective electrolyzer

26 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

Love your use of showers at the top to spread fridge coolness.  And your japanase style bedrooms with lamp heating look awesome!  Are those enough to prevent loud sleepers from disturbing the neighbors? ;)

Yeah, loud sleeper is 3 tile radius - 1 space between beds should be enough.

23 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

The output gas of Electrolyzers is always 70c regardless of the water you pump into them. This means that outside of creating hotspots letting them cool doesn't change the equation in terms of heat put into the asteroid.

I personally like to lock them up in abyssalite rooms and let them get to max temp, because then I can perfectly predict the temperature of the oyxgen I'm pumping around my base. But there are a number of ways to handle the problem.

If I remember rightly from a post Risu made a while back - and I'm sure he can confirm if he reads this - the gasses are output at different temperatures, although I can't remember the values - it might explain why my builds that focus on oxygen are usually colder than hydrogen focused builds. You may have noticed that your electrolyzers in a confined space sometimes heat to ~77 degrees? (or at least they used to, I haven't built them like that since before OU)

Anyways - I digressed; by using wheezeworts in the fashion I have in the pics above, i'm technically cycling the oxygen from below the electrolyzers, to above them. This circulatory cooling (when compounded to the downtime of the machines) leads to electrolyzers outputting their toasty hot gasses into a dense pocket of cooled gas. This then immediately cools their output to manageable temperatures.

Now, by having pumps above and below the electrolyzers, you can technically govern how dense the gasses are that surround the electrolyzers, and as such cool them as much/little as you please. I.e. having the lower pumps active when above a pressure of 1000g will mean less density of oxygen surrounding the electrolyzer, meaning the output will be warmer - likewise having them active when above 1600g will mean more surrounding gasses, and so the temps will be cooler. It's a ghetto way of controlling the output, but it works nicely for me - so I can predict quite comfortably what my output temperatures will be. The key is to have plenty of electrolyzers :D 

I have to agree, there are many, many different builds. To date I've streamed 10+ full colonies, all over 6-700 cycles, and in every one I've built them in a different fashion. I shudder to think how many single player variations I've done... Biggest tip I can give you @manu_x32 is don't follow what everyone else is doing - have a play with them yourself and don't worry about efficiency to begin with.

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

the gasses are output at different temperatures, although I can't remember the values

Nah, both of them are output at 70C.

Though I am curious how your oxygen is usually colder. The oxygen produced has more joules than the hydrogen due to mass.

23 minutes ago, Risu said:

Nah, both of them are output at 70C.

Though I am curious how your oxygen is usually colder. The oxygen produced has more joules than the hydrogen due to mass.

Hrrrgh now i'll have to try and dig out the thread... it may be outdated info now, but i'm sure hydrogen/oxygen were being emitted at different temperatures once upon a time...

6 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

You may have noticed that your electrolyzers in a confined space sometimes heat to ~77 degrees? (or at least they used to, I haven't built them like that since before OU)

They hover around 71-72c, and that's been true since at least AU. That's 70c or so from the output gas + the heat wattage from the pump and electrolyzer itself.

13 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

Hey guys, I`ve never been able to make electrowheeze work properly or at least output oxygen at a decent rate and temperature.  But so many of you seem to use it, are you guys getting good temperature output out of your setups?

I tend to prefer using this kind of setup, which is similar but cooled by a water radiator instead of wheezeworths.  You kind of need to have water <= 25C for this to work well, but you can do this very early game without having to go get those weezeworths that are pretty far away.

What are your thoughts?  What are the reasons for preferring the weezeworth version?

electrowheeze_radiator.thumb.jpg.8c4306dfc8acdff7f8b4c680b785ce10.jpg

Hide contents

electrowheeze_radiator_temp.thumb.jpg.763b845483f4497ddb6c549507a83ba9.jpg

electrowheeze_radiator_liquids.thumb.jpg.ca55c12e57af8c2663758bde51eb3854.jpg

electrowheeze_radiator_gas.jpg.8bfe932bf294fb5e473ba112164d259b.jpg

Ill screen shot one I build it works great if a little heavy on the wheezeworts

10 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Biggest tip I can give you @manu_x32 is don't follow what everyone else is doing - have a play with them yourself and don't worry about efficiency to begin with.

Your snapshots inspired me.  I built a 3 dupes deluxe "mini" base playing with some of the ideas in your images. Just a tiny bit overkill.  And I did stick to my prefered electo setup. ;)

3dupesDeluxeMiniBase.thumb.jpg.edd9ff7ad1eb1d9e898054cbf2fbaa3e.jpg

Archived