The new gas pressure mechanics

I haven't seen this brought up yet and I wanted to discuss it a bit.

So the oil update gave us high pressure vents, which I've been wanting for a loooong time. Until now, I've been using exploity things like wheezewort gas pumps, or waterlogged electrolyzers to overpressurize oxygen in my base and now thats no longer necessary.

However, there is also the new "popped ears" debuff that get's applied at pressures higher than the low-pressure vent. Using waterlocks (soggy debuff) and over-pressurizing oxygen (popped ears) makes it very annoying to effectively manage stress. Which made me no longer want to overpressurize my base at all. I actually find myself making gas pipes networks to distribute oxygen instead, which is a lot more fun.

I've also found myself taking gas pressure into account now when breaching new areas, and taking preemptive steps to mitigate that gas expansion and limit the damage to my dupes poor ear drums. Before, that wouldn't have been a consideration.

For me these changes have done a good job at adding a new, albeit small, dimension to gameplay, and I'm enjoying this particular design change very much.

Just now, manu_x32 said:

thanks for bringing this up, I was not aware of it.  Is there a maximum to the high pressure vents? Will be very useful I guess for compacting gases in chambers without the water trick.

20 kg. The debuff starts at 4 kg so plan your high pressure vents well.

Just now, Risu said:

Debuff as in the popped ear drums.

ah ok, lol, thanks!   I guess it`s ok for gas chambers where dupes go rarely, the popped ears thing must be only temporary, I hope.  And do the new suit protect from that? Sorry for all the questions, this is new information I didn`t see anywhere else. ;)

4 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

ah ok, lol, thanks!   I guess it`s ok for gas chambers where dupes go rarely, the popped ears thing must be only temporary, I hope.  And do the new suit protect from that? Sorry for all the questions, this is new information I didn`t see anywhere else. ;)

Atmo suits are immune to popped ear drums, wet feet, and soaking wet debuffs.

yeah i found 20kg max for the high pressure vents.

To be honest i LOVE the high pressure vents. Working around the debuff isn't too hard. I mostly use the HPVs for industrial processes like making chlorine storage tanks, carbon dioxide skimming rooms, oxygen liquifiers and so on. The engineering becomes so much more compact and efficient with the HPVs. 

I love HPVs. 

(****... that's a horrible acronym)

14 minutes ago, NurdRage said:

yeah i found 20kg max for the high pressure vents.

To be honest i LOVE the high pressure vents. Working around the debuff isn't too hard. I mostly use the HPVs for industrial processes like making chlorine storage tanks, carbon dioxide skimming rooms, oxygen liquifiers and so on. The engineering becomes so much more compact and efficient with the HPVs. 

I love HPVs. 

(****... that's a horrible acronym)

They have their uses, but i'm avoiding them for the majority of my base. Even my chlorine filled storage is a normal vent to prevent the ears popping debuff.

I've given up on CO2 management now tbh, I just use slicksters - even if they get stuck in a loop, they consume ridiculous amounts of CO2, then on a load they'll exude that sweet, sweet black gold :D  These three are currently working on a backed up CO2 room that had around 18kg per tile :p 

image.thumb.png.4fa31c9a3cf01d0bcfbc3e327637c53b.png

Oh of course, there are many strategies and you don't have to use them.

But they're doing the best thing possible: HPVs give us options. 

The perfect addition is a component that you can choose to use or not use and still come out like you've made a good choice. :)

Archived