What Do I Do With Crude Oil After I Found It?

Capping oil wells with well caps is very late game stuff as it requires 5kg/s water to be pumped there, and dupe interaction in a high temperature area. The best thing to do is use up the pools of crude oil stuff to make all the necessary machinery and exosuits needed to process the oil wells.

1 hour ago, GreatGameDota said:

And also don't forgot about the power of Slicksters! Oil reservoirs don't produce very much crude oil and cost a lot of water (as @Saturnus stated). 1kg/s per 5kg/s of water.  

Plus the heat they output, plus the natural gas that needs to be vented, plus the.... blergh - absolute trash :D 

Trap a load of slicksters and feed them your dirty, filthy, STANKY co2 ;) 

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Plus the heat they output, plus the natural gas that needs to be vented, plus the.... blergh - absolute trash :D 

Trap a load of slicksters and feed them your dirty, filthy, STANKY co2 ;) 

Did we figure out how to get them to reliably excrete crude oil? I'm just pumping CO2 down there an hoping for the best because I haven't figured out how to trap them so that they make the conversion reliably but leaving them running free (within limits) seems to work.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Did we figure out how to get them to reliably excrete crude oil? I'm just pumping CO2 down there an hoping for the best because I haven't figured out how to trap them so that they make the conversion reliably but leaving them running free (within limits) seems to work.

Yes, place a tap down - pump water into it, watch it's pressure raise to the level you set it to - a dupe will come and vent the gas at that point.

essentially it produces 1kg/s of crude oil IF it's working efficiently.

Also outputs the natural gas when the dupe cleans it out, but we're not talking much.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Yes, place a tap down - pump water into it, watch it's pressure raise to the level you set it to - a dupe will come and vent the gas at that point.

essentially it produces 1kg/s of crude oil IF it's working efficiently.

Also outputs the natural gas when the dupe cleans it out, but we're not talking much.

I meant the slicksters. I thought it was inferred from the context of pumping CO2, trapping vs running free etc. 

9 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I meant the slicksters. I thought it was inferred from the context of pumping CO2, trapping vs running free etc. 

Ahh sorry, nah they're bugged to high hell at present - I haven't figured out how to farm them without them getting stuck occasionally on their own slickster-made-mountain of strangely moving oil :D 

3 minutes ago, Gravityx said:

I have slicksters on only mesh tiles between pneumatic doors. Haven't tested enough, but it seems to work fine.

Are they regularly stopping to "poop" their oil out? 

I found mine would work for a while, then get stuck in eating mode and consume obscene amounts of CO2 without giving me their juicy oil bounty :D 

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Are they regularly stopping to "poop" their oil out? 

I found mine would work for a while, then get stuck in eating mode and consume obscene amounts of CO2 without giving me their juicy oil bounty :D 

Ah yeah you are right. I was saving/loading so much I guess I didn't notice. They still move around and consume CO2, they just don't create oil. As soon as you reload a save though, they seem to convert their CO2 contents to oil.

Just now, Gravityx said:

Ah yeah you are right. I was saving/loading so much I guess I didn't notice. They still move around and consume CO2, they just don't create oil. As soon as you reload a save though, they seem to convert their CO2 contents to oil.

Yeah, it seems to be something to do with how the oil flows - i.e. it mounts up and is almost stackable. That and the way that slicksters seem to struggle to find their ideal y-height to live at :D 

In debug If I removed the oil they're stuck on, or painted in some more - they'd find a new "level" to operate at, and start working as usual.

32 minutes ago, Gravityx said:

Strange creature. They choose a cell where they poop at and try to move there when they need to poop.
This cell isn't saved so they choose another after loading save.
Sure looks like they can give up on this poop adventure and choose another but I guess the failure condition can fail.

Archived