Refridgerator now cooling the surroundings?

Someone mentioned this on the steam forum, so I checked it out myself... Apparently, powered refrigerator will now actually provide net cooling to the surroundings instead of heating it up like it used to do.  Is this intended?  I mean, wow, I haven't done a test as to how much heat it is destroying, but if it's more than hydrofan... lol...

You'd be amazed how difficult it is to get people to plug those fridges in. (But mah power! Wah!)

But yes, it forces the storage to interact with simulated 4C, 400 heat capacity, and 1000 thermal conductivity.
Which then bleeds out into the room environment.

10 minutes ago, Risu said:

You'd be amazed how difficult it is to get people to plug those fridges in. (But mah power! Wah!)

But yes, it forces the storage to interact with simulated 4C, 400 heat capacity, and 1000 thermal conductivity.
Which then bleeds out into the room environment.

That is... messed up...  Wouldn't that basically makes a powered fridge a constant heat sink with a temperature floor of 4C? (Of course, you'd need to have food stocked inside for it to work like this)

2 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

That is... messed up...  Wouldn't that basically makes a powered fridge a constant heat sink with a temperature floor of 4C? (Of course, you'd need to have food stocked inside for it to work like this)

It would. Yes. Note that literally everything else is a constant heat source. Exploit that.

So I've done a pretty crude test to see how much heat a powered fridge can remove...

I have the fridge sealed inside Abyssalite Tiles with 1 tile of vacuum and 1 tile of 1000kg water.  The fridge is fully stocked and made with Granite.  I disregarded the first cycle result since I know it's going to be affected by the initial temperature of the food and fridge.

The deltaT in each cycles were:

So that's an average of -3.28C per cycle

This gives an effective cooling of 1000kg x 4.179 x 3.28 / 600 = 22.85 kW

Which is higher than Wheezewort in Hydrogen (12kW)

And higher than Hydrofan (80 x 200 = 16kW)

I mean, what can I say?  Let's start plugging those fridge in and say goodbye to heat death?  If this keeps up, our base might just get too cold!

Fridge.png

10 kw, 20 kW, chump change.  One Water purifier is something like 5 MW of cooling.  A complex of fertilizer makers is also easily over 1 MW of cooling.  Even if you just look at changes introduced in OU, the biggest cooling one is the change to lavatories and showers, which are behave oddly in OU, if you feed in hot geyser water they start outputting 65 Celsius pwater, then over time it slowly decreases down to the ambient temperature that the showers and lavatories are sitting in.  Anyways, that is easily 2-3 MW in cooling for a good sized base, between all your lavatories and showers (compared to the way lavatories and showers used to work, that is)

"If this keeps up, our base might just get too cold!"   

If we used all the cooling available to us irrespective of need,, we'd already be there, and well past it.

18 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

I mean, what can I say?  Let's start plugging those fridge in and say goodbye to heat death?  If this keeps up, our base might just get too cold!

And this was the thought that went through my head as I read that:

Spoiler

Sir, it appears our test subjects have died.

How?!

It appears they placed fridges all over their base, and that somehow froze everything.

Wait what?!

I can't even begin to try and explain how it happened sir.

1 minute ago, trukogre said:

If we used all the cooling available to us irrespective of need,, we'd already be there, and well past it.

Yes, it is true that if you are to use the constant output buildings and input hot source, the actual heat being destroyed is extremely high.

However, you're disregarding the application aspect of it.  You can't create an actual cooling system with constant output buildings.  You "sort of" can with chained output like nat-gas generators.

With refrigerators in OU, they are basically a different version of wheezewort that consumes power capable of cooling down to 4C, without many of the problems it has.  That to me is significant.

12 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

With refrigerators in OU, they are basically a different version of wheezewort that consumes power capable of cooling down to 4C, without many of the problems it has.  That to me is significant.

Also doesn't destroy gases.

1 hour ago, Reaniel said:

I have the fridge sealed inside Abyssalite Tiles with 1 tile of vacuum and 1 tile of 1000kg water.  The fridge is fully stocked and made with Granite.  I disregarded the first cycle result since I know it's going to be affected by the initial temperature of the food and fridge.

This is quite possibly the first good use for pickled lice I've heard of so far! :o

49 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

Yes, it is true that if you are to use the constant output buildings and input hot source, the actual heat being destroyed is extremely high.

However, you're disregarding the application aspect of it.  You can't create an actual cooling system with constant output buildings.  You "sort of" can with chained output like nat-gas generators.

I can and I have.  Perhaps you mean to say that constant output buildings are only one part of such a cooling system, whereas a fridge has a small effect but is effectively self-contained?

E.g., my last base, I took hot geyser water, and used constant output buildings (lavatories/showers) to cool that down into cold polluted water (from 90 C down to 15 C)  I put that cold polluted water into a sump tank, and stuck some aquatuners in it, attached to water pumps with heat sensors.  Some aquatuners were to keep my polluted water sump tanks under my NGG farms below 0 Celsius.  I keep my NGG's cold by cooling their output catch basins and dripping water from that basin over them in a cascade.  Other aquatuners cooled some clean water in a basin.  I used some water from this basin to cool certain areas by pumping water through pipes through those areas, I also cooled thermoregulators which were cooling the o2 heading to my main base area by dripping some of that cold water on them, which flowed back into the clean water basin.  All of those aquatuners were able to be cooled by that one polluted water sump, which started with cold pollluted water, and never even got close to boiling.  The hot output from that particular chamber went to a complex of fertilizer makers.  So yes, I know that I can create an actual cooling system with heat sink buildings, because I've actually done it.  I could have had more cooling systems based on them, but there's no need, since each one is so powerful you can let some opportunities go by unused.

Archived