Defense against slime lung

So I finally am venturing outside my hidyhole in Outbreak. The best defense I've found so far against slimelung? Avoid it, if you can, dig it up, let it drop and leave an air gap between slime blocks a tiles if you can't. Some how slime transmits germs through its block into the tile which is a bit weird but I can deal. Air gaps work.

Anyone else have any suggestions of what they are using?

I'm a bit iffy when it comes to using air deodorizers, namely that it eats 100 g/s of PO2 but giving you back just 50 g/s of O2.  It's an okay tool for a while, but something I want to avoid for long term use.

I find it best to just do both Slime and Toxic biome together, and make sure you have the chlorine chambers opened to the slime biome rooms and just let the chlorine flow freely there.  While it will not eliminate slimelung, it can control it somewhat.

And I'd make sure to have a storage compactor built inside of a chlorine-filled room and set it at priority 9 collecting slime.  Eventually, you'd want a cold water room with slime storage underwater to both kill the germs and preventing PO2 emission.

I use deos only for single po2 pockets. I farm puffs and pump the po2 to them (gas). They eat it away very quick.
For the liquid i dig deeper and deeper and collect it someway into big caves and seal it then. I collect slime in a locker in the puffroom, like the composter and algae refinery.
When i enter a new slimebione, i install a gaspump in a fresh created airlock and pump out the bad stuff(to puff). I create a small chlorine filled room there for the ressources from there (locker).
When i use the water purifier, i don't use that water for food.
So far they get only raw maelwood food from me, has some downs, but it's working ^^

puff.png

4 hours ago, Reaniel said:

I'm a bit iffy when it comes to using air deodorizers, namely that it eats 100 g/s of PO2 but giving you back just 50 g/s of O2.  It's an okay tool for a while, but something I want to avoid for long term use.

I find it best to just do both Slime and Toxic biome together, and make sure you have the chlorine chambers opened to the slime biome rooms and just let the chlorine flow freely there.  While it will not eliminate slimelung, it can control it somewhat.

And I'd make sure to have a storage compactor built inside of a chlorine-filled room and set it at priority 9 collecting slime.  Eventually, you'd want a cold water room with slime storage underwater to both kill the germs and preventing PO2 emission.

20170829220341_1deodorizer.jpg.137f7e23c3129e641ead7a6f76e33137.jpg

The deodorizer as of 230787 gives you 90% of the input polluted oxygen back as oxygen. In terms of gas weight, to filtration media it is a very nice tradeoff when there's so much sand. The initial delivery is 80kg of sand. If you're using this on slimelung ridden po2, it doesn't remove the germs but they do slowly die off in regular oxygen and on the clay it produces. You'll basically need 1.333 times as much sand as you have po2 you want to convert.

Chlorine doesn't mix with gases and form what I can tell it only has marginal effects on airborne germs - it is useful on storage containers and their contents as well as buildings and tiles and other places surface germs could be present ( but not untouched slime ). So your ladders and other constructs are less germy or clean all together.

Deodorizing in this way also adds to your oxygen production numbers.

I was going to dig a large (but shallow) pool filled with polluted water at the bottom of the slime biome before digging things up. I'll make sure every piece of slime drops directly into the water because water (polluted or not) won't get infected (right?) and newly dug slime will not emit contaminated oxygen and po2 will be safe to breathe.

And I've divided my dupes into swamp team and backup team with doors and waterlocks, doing everything separately, in case things go wrong.

...well, wish me luck!

2 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

20170829220341_1deodorizer.jpg.137f7e23c3129e641ead7a6f76e33137.jpg

The deodorizer as of 230787 gives you 90% of the input polluted oxygen back as oxygen.

Chlorine doesn't mix with gases and form what I can tell it only has marginal effects on airborne germs - it is useful on storage containers and their contents as well as buildings and tiles and other places surface germs could be present ( but not untouched slime ). So your ladders and other constructs are less germy or clean all together.

That's good to know, and a decent chage for the machine.

As for germs, the current germ system is designed so that they don't move dynamatically from tile to tile with the liquid/air they're in, and this creates an interesting situation where when you have chlorine and PO2 actively "competing" for room, it kills off quite a lot of slimelung germs when chlorine displaces germy PO2 tiles, hence the "control".

2 hours ago, Reaniel said:

That's good to know, and a decent chage for the machine.

As for germs, the current germ system is designed so that they don't move dynamatically from tile to tile with the liquid/air they're in, and this creates an interesting situation where when you have chlorine and PO2 actively "competing" for room, it kills off quite a lot of slimelung germs when chlorine displaces germy PO2 tiles, hence the "control".

Iit seems to be working relatively well in a new base I'm building - right now I'm just trying to set up some sort of slime control workflow and without having access to the cold biome - the hot biomes are a rather easy place to manage things - I've got two deodorizers next to a slime storage compactor with a sort of hood over it to keep some proximity gases from excaping and it's working very well to detox any slime I have stored there due to the large amounts of chlorine  - It's surprising just how much o2 comes out of this setup - it's about as productive as two algae terrariums or so. luckily I'm staged right next to the chlorine geyser, so all I have to do is open the door if the o2 becomes unmanageable. I think it helps having hydrogen in the mix at the top as well - the boundary layers between everything causes quite a bit of jumbling around in the gasses as o2 rises through the chlorine.

Heck, some people swear by offgassing as an O2 production strategy that requires little to no power (depending on how you deliver that O2 into the base).  With Deodorizers as they work now, I'd say they're not wrong.  I mean obviously it's not extreme-long-term sustainable.  But for those of us not really after that...

2 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

Heck, some people swear by offgassing as an O2 production strategy that requires little to no power (depending on how you deliver that O2 into the base).  With Deodorizers as they work now, I'd say they're not wrong.  I mean obviously it's not extreme-long-term sustainable.  But for those of us not really after that...

I think the outgassing is limited to 40.1 g/s per container - It's some low number but it still adds up. With the limiting function of containers, I can see how a large bank of germ-free outgassing slimeball containers might be a somewhat compelling and not too difficult to accomplish source of o2. The deodorizers may be capable of expediting the flow of po2 through an airflow tile from the right or the left. I've seen them shuffle gasses around rather violently when they're placed in a layer boundary.

I had a similar idea with polluted water - but just don't know how emissions from polluted water really work to begin with - I do know it's the cause of the po2 buildups in the swamp biome, but not sure about all of the factors which contribute to it.

@The Plum Gate  I forget who it was that did all the calculations, but as I recall they said it takes about 30-odd full tiles of PW (full because it's a percentage of the PW in the tile), on average (average because its somewhat random iirc), to generate enough oxygen for 1 dupe every second.  So a lot of space.

Edit: 40.1 g/s for containers would be outstanding, considering a normal dupe only requires 100g/s.  Much more efficient than PW if my recollections on the PW system were close.

1 hour ago, brummbar7 said:

@The Plum Gate  I forget who it was that did all the calculations, but as I recall they said it takes about 30-odd full tiles of PW (full because it's a percentage of the PW in the tile), on average (average because its somewhat random iirc), to generate enough oxygen for 1 dupe every second.  So a lot of space.

Edit: 40.1 g/s for containers would be outstanding, considering a normal dupe only requires 100g/s.  Much more efficient than PW if my recollections on the PW system were close.

I just checked on this (about slime that is) in game and it emits 41.7g/s, but this seems to break step, as in 41.7g/s ... every other second ( or really half of the time it's sitting there ) it may be an animation bound emission so it might be difficult to nail down the exact number without going into debug mode and teleporting a slimeball into a large vacuum and checking the actual emissions over a set amount of time - there's a statistic in the reports listing called sublimation which tells you how much PO you have generated, however I don't know where that number comes from or what all it counts for - it looks like a net sum or differential because the deodorizers actually count towards oxygen generation.

Additionally, bottles of polluted water emit 8.5g/s - at interval in a manner similar to slime but much less frequently. Probably to such an extent that the emissions get deleted if the room anything but PO. < this turned out to not be true. I have noticed the randomness of PW emissions - seems mostly spontaneous out of anything but PW bottles. But can be annoying to deal with in the early stages of the game.

So to not stray too far off the topic, if anyone is having problems with their polluted water pit emitting polluted oxygen, you can dump some fresh water in it and the thin film it forms across the top of the polluted water should prevent any PO emissions. this may be of practical purposes if you happen to have dupes showering their slime germs into a PW pit and need to control the spread.

On 2017/9/6 at 4:03 AM, The Plum Gate said:

So to not stray too far off the topic, if anyone is having problems with their polluted water pit emitting polluted oxygen, you can dump some fresh water in it and the thin film it forms across the top of the polluted water should prevent any PO emissions. this may be of practical purposes if you happen to have dupes showering their slime germs into a PW pit and need to control the spread.

Thank you for your advice! But my dupes shower slime germs into a Pw pit populated by yellow germs, and slime germs simply disappear.

And after watching dupes breathe po2 for about 20 cycles, I no longer consider oxygen purification worth the effort. Slime biome is absolutely manageable. Just: ① Store slime in freezing water ② Lock infected algae in chlorine room ③ Never build tiles with contaminated materials, and everything's gonna be fine.

20170906203712_1.jpg

20170910141220_1.jpg

Archived