Few curiosity questions to megabase builders.

Curious about those of you who like to build megabases.

1. How many worlds do you pass before reaching the final destination? How long do you stay in each?

2. What do you choose to take with you?

3. How do you deal with summer burning everything? Or spring lighting rods?

4. Ever had Bearger/Dragonfly destroy half your things? :D

5. What do you do if some resource gets demolished - for instance Beefalos die out or all Twigs in existence burn in an unlucky accident?

I play soley on PS4 so some of my answers may not apply. I have a summer base in the desert next to the oasis, there I'm not worried if anything catches on fire. During this time I stay away from my megabase so it doesn't catch on fire. I've never had all of one thing die out such as a beefalo. If a giant comes, I usually have warning by my character so I make sure to always hAve a mining hat for quick escape to lead it away from my base. I do have at times to rebuild walls but nothing major. I keep all my plants, trees and bushes in a middle courtyard that has a rock wall so a fire will not spread to outer base wit heat. I lead hounds away always because the fire ones will burn everything. 

Well, I'm not exactly a megabase builder, but I'll answer what I can.

1. If Wind1991 is any indication, however many worlds it takes to find a reed trap and collect a desired number of guardian horns.  Stay only long enough to gather all the ruins gems, Thulecite, coffee, and guardian horns.  Everything else can be farmed in a single world.

2. Obviously the coffee, ruins gems, Thulecite, and guardian horns / houndius shootius.  With a linked Shipwrecked world you can just take everything there via seaworthy, and then back to the new world after using the teleportato.  And the reverse process when jumping to a new Shipwrecked world.

3. Lureplants surrounded with hard ground that prevents the eyeplants from growing.  They have the highest burn priority and barely enough health to survive until the fire goes out on its own.  Then you can just kill them and replant.  Alternatively, put the lureplants within the range of a flingo to extend its reach.  Or just visit the linked Shipwrecked world during summer.  Or build your megabase on a tropical island.  Or go underground.

Lightning rods are 3 rocks and 4 gold.  Cheap.  I've seen megabases that line their roads with gold.  I have thousands of gold.  I keep having to add another row of 7 chests to my storage area to hold more gold.  I hoard so much gold, I worry that I'm turning into Haley Starshine.  When I see enemies sleeping, I'm tempted to shout "Sneak attack, *****!"  Seriously, gold isn't an issue.

4. I've never built a megabase, but I've built small bases connected by an elaborate continent-spanning highway (and tunnel network).  What I do is look for large, open spaces near the places I'm most likely to be when Bearger and Deerclops spawn, and build combat arenas there.  That means a road directly to it and a large square of cobblestone to fight on; probably some spare armor and weapons lying around, too.  Judging by the megabases I've seen, there's usually wormholes to escape to designated combat arenas, including some built specifically for dragonfly fights: you can recognize those because combat supplies are kept in scaled chests, and there's a pair of tightly-spaced endothermic fire pits that serve as a barrier to make it easier to kite.  Personally, I just fight dragonfly out in an empty part of the desert, using ashes and gunpowder.

5. Um, pack everything up into the island world and then jump to a new forest?  Seriously, though, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, or all your beefalo in one herd.  Heck, I keep basic farms in a remote part of the world with sample plants growing on them as a sort of seed bank, just in case my farms get wiped out and I don't have a source to get seeds from.  So I never run out of Durians.  For Wigfrid.  Totally not a megabase, though.  I mean, the beefalo, goats, and koalefants are free-range and everything.

You fancy me mad.  The durian farms make perfect sense.  They're so I can feed pigs frugivorous monster lasagna.  So I don't need to waste monster meat to make werepigs.  So I can give all the real meat to the Pig King for gold.  That I already have 21 chests filled with.  Would a madman have been so wise as this?  How then am I mad?

You fancy me mad.  The durian farms make perfect sense.  They're so I can feed pigs frugivorous monster lasagna.  So I don't need to waste monster meat to make werepigs.  So I can give all the real meat to the Pig King for gold.  That I already have 21 chests filled with.  Would a madman have been so wise as this?  How then am I mad?

I've never read something more confusing.

Sigh. @Ellilea is probably talking about dst, seeing that this is posted here instead of ds forum. So I'll answer in the context of dst.

1. Usually the first world. Unless the world gen is terrible and I have holes everywhere on the map. (I get that kind of world gen kinda a lot) I used to generate new worlds till I get reed trap or some kind of set piece like tall fort. However, through the power of modding, I can force gen reed trap so its okay now. If the first world don't have bad holes, I'm game.

2. Don't really understand that question, because it's too vague.

3. For spring, it's gotta be lightning rods. Not like they are that much of a pain in the ass like flingo. For summer, I'll just camp down in the caves, explore and do some ruin stuff. Flingo is just a pain in the ass.

4. Nope not once. I'll always get the hell out to a clearing to fight bosses once I hear them growling.

5. That has never happened. However, if it does, I'll most likely just spawn in that item and do a trade off, aka delete an item that is pretty much an equivalent. Like twigs for grass.

Archived