Water Purifiers don't get rid of germs

Fortunately no one's gotten sick yet from this, but the water purifier doesn't really do anything to get rid of germs so I'm wondering if there's any way to get germs out of liquids.

Secondly, the washbasin got contaminated and then the water pump for carried water also got contaminated so the dupes were basically just spreading germs around faster instead of getting clean.

I think I'll get used to it but the whole carried water thing is also a little annoying. What, their multitools don't work for that now?

Getting germs out of water is easier than it looks, unless you've got multiple types of germs in it. For food poisoning, heating the water to around 50 degrees Celsius will kill germs off quickly. Slimelung dies at cooler temperatures, so for a short-term solution, you could put some ice in there.

1 hour ago, mf99k said:

Fortunately no one's gotten sick yet from this, but the water purifier doesn't really do anything to get rid of germs so I'm wondering if there's any way to get germs out of liquids.

Secondly, the washbasin got contaminated and then the water pump for carried water also got contaminated so the dupes were basically just spreading germs around faster instead of getting clean.

I think I'll get used to it but the whole carried water thing is also a little annoying. What, their multitools don't work for that now?

If it's bugging you that something is contaminated, disinfect it.  People get a little OCD about disinfecting things, but it is an option and sometimes a good one.

23 hours ago, Brickfest said:

Water heating works... Would be nice if there was some sort of alternative that doesn't need power.

Bleach stone tablets / ability to make chlorinated water or something.

I like this idea.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:58 PM, mf99k said:

The washbasins always get covered in germs when they spit out a polluted water bottle. It happens to me every time. So I keep an eye on them when they start to get full and just disinfect them accordinly.

I foolishly thought the water filtration machine would get rid of germs and wound up contaminating my entire water supply with food poisoning as a result - For me, early game solutions for dealing with germy polluted water from toilets and showers have been hydroponic tiles and thimble reed - they can suck up 160kg of polluted water per cycle (last I checked). So I have no filter on the germy polluted water lines. The thimble reeds get stifled quite often without constant input, but I don't mind this as a treatment solution ( This unfortunately has the side effect of completely deleting said water - so be aware of this - clothing isn't exactly a high priority item for my dupes. And there are far more sustainable water treatment options such as cooling or heating. It appears just having chlorine around water isn't enough to do the trick. )

You can also send your germy clean water to the bristle blossom in the hydroponic tiles ( unfortunately the water the filtration machine spits out is usually on the warm side, so it would need to be cooled )

Archived