How to change character text color on specific talker line?

Hello, if someone can help me with this that'd be great :wilson_dorky:!

So, I want my character based on how I feel would react for some stuffs for his text color to change! I tried this code, but it didn't work?

Spoiler

local suprised =
	{
	"What!?",
	"AHHAhaHAHAHAHHAhaHAhahAHAhahHAHhahhHahHAhahhhhhhhAHAHAHHAHAHAhhhhhhhhhAHAHAHahAHAHAHAhahahAhahahhhaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!",
	"Wow!!",
	"Cool!!?",
	"Jesus!!!!",
	}

inst.components.talker:Say(suprised[math.random(1,5)], 1, nil, nil, nil, (252/255, 140/255, 118/255))

It crashes saying "  ')' expected near ',' " after code reads beyond " inst.components.talker:Say(suprised[math.random(1,5)] "

does anyone know the right way I can do this? & thanks for reading my problem, have a wonderful day/night :D!!

Edited by SuperDavid

entity.components.talker:Say(not entity:HasTag("mime") and message or "", nil, nil, nil, true, colour)

I found this in game code but don't know if it can help.

Also, shouldn't be surprised instead of suprised ?

Thank you! Now the text changes color in non-dedicated servers & doesn't crash anymore, but the text's color seems to say white in dedicated servers!

Is there a way that can be fixed :)? And thanks for the help :wilson_dorky:!

I assume that the way you implement this code made it executed only on the dedicated server side so the client doesn't know the color has been changed. You need somehow to inform your client about that color.

As a general rule,

if you want the server to inform your client that something changed on a piece of code he doesn't have access to, you need to use a net_variable.There is a stickied post on this forum discussing them.

if you want the client to inform the server that something should be changed you need to use a RPC.

But then I might be wrong, could you post a bit more about your code?

Edited by ZupaleX

Here's the entire code :)!

MYCHARACTER.lua

Spoiler

local function Help(inst) --outside of master_postinit
	local help =
	{
	"AJAHAHhaHAhahHAHA",
	"AHHAahahhhaa!!!!!!!!!!",
	"LALAshhahhaHHahahahhaahja",
	"Thats nice",
	"MYA AGWGWAGWahgjwjWAJwgWG",
	}
	inst.components.talker:Say(help[math.random(1,5)], 1, true, nil, nil, {0/255, 255/255, 55/255, 1})
end

inst:ListenForEvent("attacked", Help) -- inside master_postinit

master_postinit is server side only, so my guess was correct.

Naively I would put it in the common_postinit then? Since this particular component (talker) exists on both the client and the server. That's probably more complicated than that, but that would be my first lazy attempt before looking more into the details ^^

Edited by ZupaleX

So, I put have this code now.

Spoiler

local function ChangeTextColor(inst, data) --outside of master_postinit
	local equip = inst.components.inventory:GetEquippedItem(EQUIPSLOTS.HANDS)

if not data.attacker.prefab == "wathgrithr" or (data.attacker.prefab == "wathgrithr" and attacker.equip and not attacker.equip.prefab == "hambat") then 	return end

local quote =
	{
	"quote1",
	"quote2",
	"quote3",
	"quote4",
	"quote5",
	}
	inst.components.talker:Say(quote[math.random(1,5)], 1, true, nil, nil, {0/255, 255/255, 55/255, 1})
end

local function common_postinit(inst)
	inst:ListenForEvent("attacked", ChangeTextColor)
end

I want my character to only this text change when hit by the things I put in the return thing, but it crashes saying "inventory nil" & "attacker" nil. I'm guessing data can't be used in common_postinit or I goofed?

Maybe It'd be easier if I just make my own text texture then spawn it as a prefab, hahaha :lol:!

Oh it's because these exists only on the server side.

Then you need to catch the communication between the server and the client, when the server sned a signal to the client stating "you need to display that", and modify the color at that moment.

I can take a look at it if you cannot figure it out :)