Replace Bridges with layers

Thinking out loud. Instead of wire bridges and gas/liquid bridges we could have multiple layers for each type of infrastructure. So the old bridge would now take you from Layer A to B. Plus side of this is it would make plumbing and wiring much easier - you'd have infinite "bridge" lengths for example. If we had more than two layers per type you could separate systems by use, on the negative side it might be more difficult for newbs to follow and it takes some of the challenge out of the game as you can more easily fit stuff in. Also there is a dev time cost and UI complexity cost in there as well as game overhead (replacing three layers gas/liquid/wire with at least 6 = many more objects).  I'm not sold on the idea myself, but it occurred to me and I thought I'd throw it up for discussion.

A 3 layered system would be nice, An underground, On Ground and Raised would be nice, and with this being extremely useful their should be a downside like the following.

An underground wire cannot intersect an underground liquid or gas pipe as they "Occupy" the same space. The same would be for a Raised one cannot intersect another raised transport tile. 

I think the current system is fine.  It rewards forethought and good design.  It seems to me that layers would just allow the player to skate by with whatever.  And ya, it also might confuse some folks and would definitely complicate the UI.

Archived