Yet another (exploit) way to cool water

Did you not bork the experiment when you deconstructed the pipes bud? I can see that thin sheet of water we keep talking about...

Very interesting though - so it's an exercise in merging packets and splitting temps....

*edit - also, what was the temp on the left ?

Ok, did some tinkering - and i understand now. At each bridge the hot water is almost halved in temperature (or averaged by the water merging in from the left tank) - the more bridges you have, the colder it gets...

tinkering.png

And if you add more bridges it can reach a cool temp, and as very, VERY little of the cooled water is used for this setup, it can self sustain itself with the end result....

tinkerings2.png

Shame, i was excited about this - but alas, it's naughty :(

The fix should be extremely simple, it's just wrong variable used in a call, change on one line of code should deal with it.

However, this exploit is at least something an average player won't abuse by accident. It's in the game for months, it's there ever since TU and it took me so much time to even notice there's something wrong going on.

The other exploit with dropping cold water on hot water to cool it instantly is in my opinion worse. Because it naturally appears in some arrangements with steam geysers. And players then use that approach without even realizing they abuse a bug.

Both should be fixed in my opinion. They're bugs and the game is better off without them. On the other hand, they're fun. Both to discover and to use for those who don't mind.

8 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Sod that, get rid of all the "bugs/exploits/gifts from the code" - however you wan't to phrase it :D

Let the game be the game it's intended to be :) 

There's no practical way to cool geyser water in current game except exploits. Geyser's average production is 4 kg per second and cooling it down from 95 C to say 35 C means removing 1 MW of heat from it. that's 60 wheezeworts in hydrogen or 30 regulators cooling hydrogen (and 60 wheezeworts in hydrogen cooling these regulators). If you cool it with anything less, you're exploiting a bug, either intentionally or unintentionally.

So cooling all that hot geyser water is clearly a problem when not using exploits. But you might not have to cool it for many applications if you insulate the pipes.

For oxygen and hydrogen production the hot geyser water could be sent directly to electrolyzers, that would take the temperature down to 70C already without using cooling capacity. The hydrogen can disappear straight into hydrogen generators. For air scrubbers and showers, it depends on whether the polluted water that comes out is the same temp as what goes in

I'm not sure if there's many other late game water sinks that care about the temperature of the water they get.

3 hours ago, Sevio said:

For air scrubbers and showers, it depends on whether the polluted water that comes out is the same temp as what goes in

Water that goes into a shower is the same temp as polluted water that is outputted. The shower changes temp based on what water is pumped in. For air scrubbers the water temp pumped in doesn't matter and it constantly outputs polluted water at 30 degrees.

8 hours ago, Kasuha said:

There's no practical way to cool geyser water in current game except exploits. Geyser's average production is 4 kg per second and cooling it down from 95 C to say 35 C means removing 1 MW of heat from it. that's 60 wheezeworts in hydrogen or 30 regulators cooling hydrogen (and 60 wheezeworts in hydrogen cooling these regulators). If you cool it with anything less, you're exploiting a bug, either intentionally or unintentionally.

I think what the game needs is heat pipes, heat exchangers, and radiators (which radiate heat out to space). Maybe evaporative chillers as well (consumes water to destroy heat, like hydrofans but without needing a dupe).

So for hot water showers you'd have to limit the number of showers (to avoid too much heat dumping into the base), and route the polluted water in insulated pipes to say, a farm.

Of course the best way is to limit the amount of water you tap from the geyser to the minimum necessary. I'd like to think the heat recycling polluted water boiler I designed could help but it's definitely a throughput challenge.

Archived