Thermoregulator should flow when unpowered

I would really like to see Thermoregulators act as a wide open valve when they are not powered (so they wouldn't cool, but they wouldn't stop the flow of gas). Right now, the best work-around i can see is placing a valve in parallel to the thermoregulator, so that flow will continue when it is unpowered, but this also lowers the cooling effectiveness, as only a portion of the flow goes through the thermoregulator during powered operation. 

PS- thanks for fixing the pipe-temperature bug. It's a whole new challenge to make effective cooling systems!

44 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

Put a bridge from a pipe/vent to the building and it'll absorb all it can while the excess continuing down the pipe/vent.

There, solution to your problem without needing to change any game mechanic at all ;)

I tried the bridge method and it doesn't seem to stop flow to the valve... 

3 minutes ago, enterflux said:

Would this pass gasses through both pipes if it was on? 

No.

It can, though, if you put a valve before the regulator. Then the regulator will process smaller packets and will not heat up so fast, while the rest of packets that the valve won't grab will go straight through the pipe and will mix with regulator output. I found that setup useful for some applications.

AKbNQW3.png

26 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

No.

It can, though, if you put a valve before the regulator. Then the regulator will process smaller packets and will not heat up so fast, while the rest of packets that the valve won't grab will go straight through the pipe and will mix with regulator output. I found that setup useful for some applications.

I guess I don't understand in the original example what prevents gas from flowing through both pathways. Is it just a strange quirk of ONI that it will prefer to flow to another machine instead of sending it to both?

1 hour ago, enterflux said:

I guess I don't understand in the original example what prevents gas from flowing through both pathways. Is it just a strange quirk of ONI that it will prefer to flow to another machine instead of sending it to both?

If the gas bridge output is empty, it "steals" whole packet from the input. And since the regulator processes one packet per second, the bridge before it steals all packets that come under its input. When you switch the regulator off, the pipe before the regulator will fill up until there's full packet under bridge output at which point the bridge will stop stealing anything and the pipe contents will move on to the second bridge which is mostly there to avoid interleaving inputs and outputs on the pipe.

31 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

the second bridge which is mostly there to avoid interleaving inputs and outputs on the pipe.

The second bridge will work the other way around (compared to the first):

• in case the output tile pipe is empty it'll deposit a packet
  • in case the output tile has a non-ful packet of the same type what is in the bridge it'll be added to
  • in case the output tile has a full packet or one of a different kind of what is in the bridge the bridge will block

So basically the second bridge merges into the output pipe, with that pipe always having the priority and never be blocked by the bridge.

23 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

The second bridge will work the other way around (compared to the first):

• in case the output tile pipe is empty it'll deposit a packet
  • in case the output tile has a non-ful packet of the same type what is in the bridge it'll be added to
  • in case the output tile has a full packet or one of a different kind of what is in the bridge the bridge will block

So basically the second bridge merges into the output pipe, with that pipe always having the priority and never be blocked by the bridge.

Yes, the idea was to give priority to the regulator output. But that was just a finesse, it's not necessary. You can also do this, then there will even be no packet stuck at the regulator input when you switch it off. But you have to route the cooled gas through the regulator space.

sKQgtxa.jpg

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

But you have to route the cooled gas through the regulator space.

Abyssalite on the pipes and bridges will take care of that... Only problem with that setup is that it'll leave two spaces between the regulators, given how much fun they have overheating I like to build them vertical with fluid cooling as it is easily stackable (most abyssalite friendly version I came up with, and easiest to paint):
cooled regulators.png

The fluid that comes down then goes through a shower (or something else that glitches the temperature back down to 40°C)...

So this is odd. When I add the gas pipe bridge, even though it doesn't appear to be flowing through it (Thermor regulator is running), the output temperature increases from -230 to -110, and then propagates through the whole line of gas tiles

temperature error.png

30 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

So this is odd. When I add the gas pipe bridge, even though it doesn't appear to be flowing through it (Thermor regulator is running), the output temperature increases from -230 to -110, and then propagates through the whole line of gas tiles

I tested the design including your exact layout and when I turned it on the pipe after the regulator input emptied before the output from the regulator reached the bridge output. You must have the pipe overpressurized.and the regulator cannot process whole packets so there is packet contents mixing at the output.

When using closed loops, always make sure you add more material to it through a bridge, never through a junction. That will make sure all packets in the loop are full and the pipe contents moves at a rate of full packet per second. If you happen to overpressurize the pipe and there's remaining gas at outputs, deconstruct one piece of the pipe and construct it again, making that piece empty. That destroys one packet of gas, freeing space in the pipe. 

01LlsfJ.png

Archived